13) Titans 34, Bills 31:
— Allen got stopped on 4th down on 3-yard line in last minute.
— Bills were 7-13 on third down, Titans 4-10.
— Allen threw for 353 yards; three WR’s had 88+ receiving yards.
— Titans’ first 3 drives: 12 plays, 29 yards, 2 first downs, no points.
— Titans’ next 6 drives: 39 plays, 322 yards, 34 points.
— Henry ran ball for 143 yards, had 76-yard TD run.
12) Red Sox 12, Astros 3:
— Boston scored 6 runs in 2nd inning, 3 more in 3rd.
— Schwarber hit a grand slam.
— Red Sox lead series, 2-1.
— Boston led this game 9-0 in 3rd inning, they led Game 2 8-0 in 2nd inning. Not good for TV ratings.
11) Lets compare Hall of Fame qualifications of two former NFL coaches:
— coach A: 161-111 regular season, 13-11 in playoffs, 1-2 in Super Bowls
— coach B: 149-90-1 regular season, 21-12 in playoffs, 1-1 in Super Bowls
Coach A led two teams to a Super Bowl. Coach B coached one team.
Coach B is in the Hall of Fame, Coach A isn’t, but should be.
Any idea who they are? Answer is further down in this space.
10) FOX announcer Joe Buck is a busy man these days; he could conceivably call nine games in ten days, between NFL and baseball playoff games. Not sure why they don’t slide someone else into his football duties. Nine games in ten days seems like a bit much.
9) NFL trends:
— Rookie QB’s struggle; they’re 8-18 ATS so far this season.
— First-time head coaches are 17-23 ATS this season.
8) When college football teams have alums who become NFL stars, they promote it. Louisville is going to retire Lamar Jackson’s number 8; the only Louisville player who has had his number retired is Johnny Unitas.
7) Texas-El Paso’s football is 6-1 and bowl eligible, after going a combined 5-39 the previous five seasons. Quite a turnaround for the Miners. Hopefully they don’t put them in the Sun Bowl on their home field; put them in a bowl somewhere fun, let the kids travel.
6) Ed Orgeron is out as LSU’s football coach, less than two years after he won the national title with the Bayou Bengals. Oregon is expected to get a $17M buyout, pretty good bank for walking out the door. There were non-football issues involved, but bottom line is, 9-8 the last two years doesn’t butter the biscuit.
5) Why did the Cardinals trade for Zach Ertz? Last time Arizona had a tight end who had 100+ receiving yards in a game was way back in 1989, when Robert Awalt had 105 yards in a 24-20 win over Dallas.
Since 2013, every other NFL team has had a 100+-yard receiving game from a tight end.
4) Louisiana-Monroe (+33) upset Liberty 31-28 Saturday; it was the biggest upset in a I-A game since 2012. Warhawks are 3-3 under 1st-year coach Terry Bowden, after going 0-10 last year- their losses this season are by 35-54-34 points, but 3-3 is still way better than 0-10.
3) Houston Texans lost last five games, giving up 30.2 ppg; they’re 0-3 on road, outscored 102-24. They need to trade Deshaun Watson before the November 2 trade deadline- they’ll get lot of draft choices back for him, which is what the need, good ballplayers.
2) Red Sox OF Kike Hernandez is 18-36 in playoffs this month with five homers, quite a run he is on. Earlier this summer, when Corey Seager was hurt, I added Hernandez to my fantasy team to take Seager’s place at shortstop. He was active on my team one week, went 4-22. Not good.
Could have used that 18-36 back then, ya know?
Coach A up above is Mike Holmgren; Coach B is Bill Cowher.
1) NBA season starts Tuesday night with two games; basketball season is underway, with college hoop right behind it next month. Much better weeknight entertainment.