13) Baseball’s trade deadline is 4pm Monday; San Diego Padres were active this weekend, adding 1B Mitch Moreland from Boston, and revamping their catching corps, adding Austin Nola from Seattle, Jason Castro from the Angels.
12) Why did the Padres add two catchers this weekend?
Going into Sunday’s games, San Diego catchers were hitting .140 this year. Not good.
Cleveland’s catchers are doing even worse, hitting .118.
11) Braves 12, Phillies 10- Atlanta scored 10 runs in the 2nd inning, Phillies scored seven times in the 3rd inning. Not much pitching anywhere to be found in this one. Atlanta traded for Tommy Milone, who struggled to hold a 10-0 lead. No bueno.
10) LSU’s star WR Ja’Marr Chase caught 84 passes for 1,780 yards and 20 TD’s LY; he has opted out of this year’s college football season, a big blow for the Bayou Bengals.
9) Sunday in Cincinnati, the three Cubs’ outfielders hit two home runs each; that had never been done before, ever in the major leagues.
8) Mets did something Friday they’ll probably never do again; they hit a walk-off home run in the Bronx. The nightcap of Friday/Sunday doubleheaders were makeup games from games that were cancelled because of COVID- the Mets were the home teams for those games.
When Amed Rosario hit his walk-off homer Friday, lot of people didn’t know the game was over, including some of the players/announcers.
7) Dodgers are only team that hasn’t lost a series yet this season.
6) I picked up Orioles’ 2B-3B Hanser Alberto on my fantasy team three weeks ago; he drives me crazy, has no concept of the strike zone, but he can hit. Reminds me a lot of Manny Sanguillen, the Pirates’ catcher from their really good teams in the 70’s. They’re liable to swing at anything.
5) Teams that struggle in the NBA playoffs:
— Portland has made the playoffs 36 times, lost in first round 25 times.
— Indiana has made the NBA playoffs 27 times, lost in first round 19 times.
4) Denver 119, Utah 107 (series 3-3)
— Jamal Murray is first player since Michael Jordan in 1993 with three straight games of 40+ points in a playoff game. He had 50 in this game, which forces series to a 7th game.
— Adding some spice to this series is that Murray went to Kentucky, Utah star Donovan Mitchell went to Louisville. Mitchell scored 44 in this game.
— Utah’s uniforms are incredibly ugly.
3) Clippers 111, Dallas 97 (LA wins series 4-2)
— Kawhi Leonard had 33 points, 14 rebounds, 7 assists, 5 steals.
— Luka Doncic scored 38, but the other four Dallas starters shot a combined 15-46.
2) Boston 112, Toronto 94 (Celtics lead 1-0)
— Raptors were 10-40 behind the arc; that not good.
— Boston turned ball over 22 times (-8), but they were 17-39 on the arc.
1) If the baseball playoffs started today (they do not):
AL East- Tampa Bay, New York
AL Central- Cleveland, Chicago
AL West- Oakland, Houston
AL Wild Cards- Minnesota, Toronto
NL East- Atlanta, Mia/Phil
NL Central- Chicago, St Louis
NL West- Los Angeles, San Diego
NL Wild Cards- Colorado, Mia/Phil