13) Biggest baseball trade happened right at the 4:00 trade deadline.
Zack Greinke goes to Houston; he is their #3 starter, behind Verlander/Cole. Good luck beating the Astros in a short series.
Arizona is footing $24M of the $77M that Greinke is still owed on his contract. One of the pitchers Arizona got in this deal, Corbin Martin, had Tommy John surgery a few weeks ago and likely won’t pitch again until 2021.
12) Houston also acquired Aaron Sanchez, who is 0-13, 7.71 in 17 starts since May 1st.
11) Cubs added OF/3B Nicholas Castellano from Detroit for prospects.
10) Tigers also traded closer Shane Greene to the Braves.
9) A’s acquired P Tanner Roark from the Reds; Roark found out he got traded in an Arby’s parking lot, where he was ordering a beef and cheddar with curly fries.
Reds also dealt 2B Scooter Gennett to the Giants for cash.
8) Brewers traded 1B Jesus Aguilar to Tampa Bay for P Jake Faria.
7) Roberto Pérez started this season with 21 career homers in 963 career plate appearances; this year, he has 18 HR’s in 297 PA.
6) Miami Marlins traded P Zac Gallen to Arizona for SS prospect Jazz Chisholm.
Marlins also traded P’s Nick Anderson, Trevor Richards to Tampa Bay for P Ryan Stanek, OF Jesus Sanchez.
Chisholm, Sanchez are both 21-year old prospects, but Sanchez is batting only .206 at AAA Durham, Chisholm is hitting .204 in AA ball.
5) Baseball stuff:
— A’s put OF Ramon Laureano (stress reaction/shin) on IL.
— White Sox put 3B Yoan Moncada (hamstring) on IL.
4) Since 2011, teams are 181-97 when Zack Greinke starts for them, for a profit of $3,562, which makes him the most profitable pitcher to wager on during since 2011.
3) Seahawks’ LB Bobby Wagner acted as his own agent, got himself a 3-year, $54M contract extension with $40.25M in guarantees, and he didn’t have to pay his agent a 3% fee, since he was the agent. Good for him.
2) Jack Flaherty, Max Fried, Lucas Giolito were all on the same HS baseball team; three major league pitchers on one high school team.
1) A 79-year-old Ohio woman is going to be spending 10 days in jail next month for the crime of giving food to stray cats; that sentence was handed down by an judge in a town called Garfield Heights, which makes it all the more strange.
10 days in jail for ignoring orders not to feed cats. Wow.