13) Dodgers-Phillies played a 16-inning game Tuesday, with LA using IF/OF Kike Hernandez as a pitcher in the 16th- they would’ve used starter Rich Hill if they had the lead, but they didn’t and they basically gave a game away.
Game took 5:55 to play, ended after 1am, then teams had quick turnaround, playing a day game on Wednesday. Dodgers’ AAA team is in Oklahoma City, so tough to get another arm in town quickly. Phillies’ AAA team is closely in Lehigh Valley, easier for them.
12) Cardinals were in Cincinnati this week; they started pitchers Monday/Tuesday who were both making their first MLB start. Neither pitcher allowed a hit in the first six innings, but neither pitcher got a win, either.
11) Maui Classic is loaded this November: first round matchups are…….
Auburn-Xavier, Duke-San Diego State, Arizona-Iowa State, Gonzaga-Illinois.
Thats three pretty solid days/nights of TV watching for me.
10) Former Penn Quakers basketball coach Jerome Allen allegedly took bribes from a Miami businessman who wanted his son to get into Penn “as a recruited basketball player” which would increase his chance of being admitted to the prestigious school.
When the father was accused of health-care fraud, money laundering, conspiracy and bribery a while back, the government uncovered more than $74,000 in gifts that the father gave to coach Allen in 2013 and 2014.
The son got into Penn and still goes there; he never played on the basketball team. Allen got fired three years ago and is now one of Brad Stevens’ assistants in the NBA with the Celtics.
9) Tampa Bay beat the Bronx Bombers 3-2 Wednesday; they brought in a lefty reliever in the last inning, moved Sergio Romo to 3B for a batter, so Romo could come back and face the next hitter. Romo struck out Brett Gardner to end the game; Kevin Cash is doing an amazing job, having that roster at 52-50.
8) Bronx catcher Gary Sanchez got pummeled on social media Monday night after he failed to hustle on a couple of key plays that were important in a 7-6 Tampa Bay win.
Sanchez is a lousy defensive catcher who is hitting .188; why is he the starter? If he’s not going to hustle, why is he even in the major leagues?
Tuesday, Sanchez was put on the DL with a groin injury, which diffuses the issue. Whether he is really hurt or just getting 10 days off to shut the media up is open for debate.
7) Random trivia: An actor named John Hurt has 207 movie/TV credits to his name; he died in 43 different movies, which appears to be the all-time record.
6) Obscure TV/movie trivia: I’m watching an old Law and Order re-run the other night, from the series’ first year or two— one of the opposing lawyers is the guy who played the manager of the baseball team in Bull Durham. So I look the actor up on the Interweb.
Turns out that the Law and Order episode was Trey Wilson’s last acting job; he died from a cerebral hemorrhage a few weeks before his 41st birthday, only a couple years after he made Bull Durham. 41 is way too young to die.
5) Angels are wasting Mike Trout’s prime; Angels lost 5-3 to the White Sox Monday night, with Trout walking four times and hitting a sac fly. Five plate appearances, no official AB’s.
Justin Upton usually hits behind Trout; he’s come to bat with 309 men on base and knocked in only 36 of them (19 of 48 from 3rd base). Knocking in 11.7% of baserunners isn’t good for the guy you have batting cleanup.
4) Baseball doings:
— Red Sox acquired P Nathan Eovaldi from Tampa Bay for rookie P Jaylen Beeks.
— Mets put Yoenis Cespedes (heel) back on the DL. He’ll have surgery and may not even be back for the start of next season.
— A’s P Kendall Graveman (elbow) will have Tommy John surgery
— Orioles sent P Zach Britton to division rival New York, getting three pitching prospects in return: Dillon Tate, Josh Rogers, and Cody Carroll. Tate is 5-2, 3.38 in 15 Eastern League starts (AA level) this season.
3) Looking at an action chart for Week 1 NFL games, Texans-Patriots is getting most evenly balanced action at William Hill books. 52% of play is on New England (-6.5).
Most one-sided action is on the Falcons (+4.5, 95% of $$ bet), Colts (-2.5, 92%).
2) Cleveland QB Baker Mayfield got a $21.85M signing bonus; a 4-year, $32.68M fully guaranteed deal overall. Mayfield told his agent not to quibble on some contract details so he could be in camp on Day 1 to compete for the starting job.
1) Teams that use defensive shifts the least: Angels, Rangers, Cubs.
When Joe Maddon managed in Tampa, he was at forefront of using shifts, so thats an interesting change.