13) Lot of money being thrown around by NBA teams this week; Stephen Curry signed a 4-year contract extension with Golden State worth $215M, as in $51.25M a year, $625,000 a game, whether he plays or not. Being a great shooter is profitable these days.
12) Atlanta Braves’ last 17 games:
Braves are trying to get back to .500 today; they haven’t been over .500 yet this year.
11) USA 95, Spain 81— Game was tied at the half, but the Americans pulled away in the second half and even covered the 12-point spread.
Next up for Team USA is a date with Australia, which whacked Argentina 97-59 Tuesday.
10) Pirates 8, Brewers 5 (10):
— Pirates RF Gregory Polanco made a game-saving catch in 9th inning, robbing Eduardo Escobar of a walk-off home run.
— Polanco also drove in the go-ahead run in the 10th inning.
— Adrian Houser no-hit Pirates for 6.1 innings, but was taken out after throwing 104 pitches.
9) Las Vegas sportsbooks adjusted the total on the Week 1 Seattle-Indy game, moving the total down from 52 to 45.5, upon hearing about Carson Wentz’s injury. Lot of places took the spread on the game off the board.
8) Retired QB Philip Rivers is making noise about un-retiring; right now, Rivers is the new football coach at St. Michael Catholic HS in Fairhope, AL,
“I’m not quite there,. I’m getting back there. I wouldn’t have made weight if I had to report last week, that’s for sure. But I am getting back into the lifting and running, and shoot, I occasionally throw a ball around out here in this heat. It’s not too hard to get a good lather going.”
“I want to make sure I’m very clear: I’m not predicting I will play in December or January, for that matter. One, you’ve got to have somebody who wants you, and two, it’s got to be right. But I have not completely ruled that out.”
Rivers played for the Colts last year; Carson Wentz has an injured foot, will miss the start of the season. St Michael’s may need an interim football coach pretty soon.
7) I’m told that quarterback is an important position in the NFL; in the three years that Baker Mayfield has played for Cleveland, he is 23-22 as the starting QB. Cleveland has +4 turnover ratio in those three years. Big improvement.
Year before Mayfield joined the Browns, Cleveland had a minus-28 turnover ratio.
6) I’m very, very curious how Urban Meyer will handle Jacksonville’s preseason games:
— Will he try to win, to “establish a winning culture”?
— How much will rookie QB Trevor Lawrence play?
— Winning/losing the three preseason games DOES NOT MATTER, but Meyer has to get used to the differences between college and NFL games. Those three games will help.
5) 42 years ago this week, Tony LaRussa began his managerial career, leading the White Sox in a game against Toronto. Blue Jays’ 2nd baseman that day was Danny Ainge, better known for his basketball exploits.
Ainge ht .220 in 221 MLB games, then played 14 years in the NBA, before becoming a coach and front office executive in the NBA.
4) Over weekend, Texas Rangers’ C Jonah Heim hit walk-off homers in consecutive games; he is the first rookie EVER to do that.
3) Willie Adames was hitting .197 when Tampa Bay traded him to the Brewers, but he’s been a big help for Milwaukee, hitting .295, with 43 RBI in 64 games with the Brewers.
2) Marlins’ P Jesus Luzardo is the first major leaguer who was born in Peru.
1) If the baseball playoffs started today (they don’t):
NL: Mets, Brewers, Giants. Wild Card: San Diego @ Los Angeles
AL: Rays, White Sox, Astros. Wild Card: Oakland @ Boston