13) Should have mentioned this yesterday; Twins’ 3B Josh Donaldson scored the 2,000,000th run in major league history Saturday. Pretty big deal; Bob Watson scored the 1,000,000th run back in 1975.
12) San Diego Padres played extra inning games four days in a row, then did something weird Sunday, to rest their bullpen.
Trailing 7-0 after the third inning, Padres replaced starter Blake Snell with Joe Musgrove, another starter who is probably their #2 pitcher. Musgrove threw five hitless innings, which is great, but they lost anyway and now he misses his regular turn in the rotation Monday, kind of a big deal.
San Diego couldn’t bring minor leaguers up to fortify the bullpen? Now Musgrove misses a start against the Cubs, good news for Chicago.
11) Weather has screwed up a lot of baseball schedules this spring; Indians played a twinbill against Toronto Sunday, and have another one with the White Sox today.
This is the first time since September 2000 that Cleveland has played doubleheaders two days in a row- they played four games in two days at Fenway Park back then.
10) Arizona 9, St Louis 2— Diamondbacks snap their 13-game losing skid; Ketel Marte homered, Josh Reddick had three hits against a lefty starter.
9) Chicago 3, Baltimore 1— Now the Orioles have a 13-game losing skid; they’ve scored a total of nine runs in their last five games.
8) Angels 4, A’s 2:
— A’s started the season 1-7; not good.
— Then the A’s won their next 13 games; very good.
— A’s are 17-17 since then; they lead AL West by 1.5 games.
7) Giants 5, Dodgers 4— LA lost four of its last five games, giving up 24 runs in their last three games.
6) Colorado 4, Pittsburgh 3— Rockies scored twice in ninth inning to break a 5-game losing skid; they’ve been shut out three times in their last five games. Now they go home to Denver, where they hit the ball way better than they do on the road.
5) Hawks 113, Knicks 96:
— Atlanta leads series 3-1; they led by 13 at halftime of the loss.
— Hawks were +29 with Bogdanovic on the court, minus-12 in 13:00 he sat out.
4) Suns 100, Lakers 92:
— Chris Paul scored 18 points, had 9 assists, played 32:00.
— Lakers’ star Anthony Davis missed second half with a leg injury.
3) Nets 141, Celtics 126:
— Brooklyn shot 57.8% from the floor, made 16-27 3’s- they led series 3-1.
— in first three quarters, Nets scored 112 points on 71 possessions, really good.
2) Clippers 106, Mavericks 81:
— Road team has won all four series games.
— Dallas made only five of 30 3-point shots.
1) RIP to former Utah Jazz center Mark Eaton, who passed away at age 64 after a bike accident. It was touching reading people praising Eaton as a kind soul who was nice to everyone- we need more kind souls in this world. He worked as a motivational speaker in his retirement.
Eaton played college ball at UCLA; he led the NBA in blocked shots four times in his 11 years with the Jazz, where he teamed with Karl Malone/John Stockton on some great teams.