13) Cincinnati Bengals have a bye this week; they announced they will start rookie QB Ryan Finley when they host the Ravens next week.
Sunday, Andy Dalton became the first NFL QB ever to start a season 8-0, and also 0-8. Tuesday, he got benched on his 32nd birthday.
While I’m here, a reminder that Marvin Lewis went 131-122-3 coaching the Bengals in the regular season; his 0-7 playoff record sent him packing.
Here is the problem: Cincinnati’s last .500 season without Lewis as HC was in 1996; their last playoff game without Lewis was in 1990.
Since 1991, Bengals are 55-145 in games not coached by Lewis, 131-122-3 wth Lewis.
12) Washington 6, Houston 2:
— First best-of-7 finals series in MLB, NHL or NBA where road team won all seven games.
— Washington played five elimination games this month; in his at-bats from 7th inning on in those five games, Anthony Rendon was 6-8 with three doubles, three homers and a walk.
11) Rockets 159, Wizards 158— While the Houston-Washington baseball teams were playing in the World Series, those cities’ basketball teams set defense back 30 years.
It was the highest scoring NBA game that didn’t go to overtime since a 1990 game where Golden State beat Denver 162-158.
10) James Harden tied an NBA record Monday with his 7th career game with 20+ made foul shots; he shares the record with Moses Malone, Kobe Bryant.
Harden was 21-22 from the line vs Oklahoma City, whose whole team was 17-24.
9) When teams underperform, there have to be scapegoats:
— Bronx baseball team fired pitching coach Larry Rothschild; it is obviously his fault that the Astros are better than the Bronx Bombers.
— Arizona Wildcats fired defensive coordinator Marcel Yates and linebackers coach John Rushing, after the Wildcats gave up 133 points in their last three games.
8) Weird fact: When the Giants acquired DT Leonard Williams from the Jets a few days ago it was the first time EVER the Giants/Jets made a trade. Thats over 50 years.
7) Patriots, Falcons cut their kickers Tuesday; New England signed Nick Folk, who will kick for his 4th NFL team- he also holds the record for longest field goal (55 yards) in AAF history this past winter. Falcons are on a bye, haven’t signed a new kicker yet.
6) It bothers me that FOX has to interview managers while a World Series game is going on; they’re not going to say anything interesting, so you get to see a guy squirm for a few minutes while he’s stressing out about not doing his freaking job. It makes no sense.
5) Stephen Strasburg is the first MLB pitcher ever who was the #1 pick in the amateur draft, then started a World Series game for the same team that drafted him.
4) RIP to coach Al Bianchi, who passed away this week at age 87; Bianchi was a head coach in the ABA and NBA for nine seasons- his 1970-71 Virginia Squires went 55-29. He was also the first coach of the Seattle SuperSonics.
3) With Klay Thompson sitting out most of this year, this year’s Golden State Warriors have the 3rd-youngest roster in the NBA.
2) With Joe Flacco headed to the IR, Denver Broncos have three QB’s (Allen, Rypien, Lock) none of whom has never taken an NFL snap.
1) Last Sunday was only day this year where there were NFL, NBA, NHL and major league baseball games, all on the same day.