13) Cardinals 8-12, Cubs 5-4:
— St Louis has won 14 games in a row, a franchise record.
— Cardinals have a 5-game lead for the second Wild Card slot.
12) Rangers 8, Orioles 5:
— Cedric Mullins hit his 30th homer, making him the first Baltimore Oriole ever to hit 30 homers, steal 30 bases in same season.
11) Twins 3, Blue Jays 1:
— Toronto picked a bad time to go on a 1-4 skid; they’re two games out of second Wild Card slot.
10) Giants 7, Rockies 2:
— San Francisco wins its 100th game, for 8th time in franchise history.
— Giants lead Dodgers by a game in NL West.
9) If you’re into planning ahead, spring training games start February 26; Marlins-Tigers play that day in Florida.
8) Juan Soto reached base in 12 consecutive plate appearances before finally making an out in Cincinnati Friday. Two players hold the major league record for consecutive plate appearances reaching base, with 17. Piggy Ward and Earl Averill Jr..
7) If I had a vote for MVP, I’d vote for Vladimir Guerrero over Shohei Ohtani, mostly because the Blue Jays are contenders and the Angels aren’t. Ohtani is doing amazing things; if the award was Player of the Year, that would be different.
6) NFL’s Wild Card weekend is January 15-17; two games on Saturday, three on Sunday and now one on Monday night— the winner would undoubtedly play on Sunday night the next weekend. Having a playoff game on Monday night should make the league some more money.
5) Charlotte 42, Middle Tennessee 39:
— Both teams had over 500 total yards.
— MTSU’s QB Cunningham threw for 379 yards, five TD’s.
4) Fresno State 38, UNLV 30:
— UNLV led 14-0 after first quarter.
— Rebels scored 80-yard TD on first play of 3rd quarter, led 21-9.
— Total yardage was 461-433, Fresno.
— UNLV lost this game, but played very well, a source for optimism.
3) Syracuse 24, Liberty 21:
— Liberty is coached by former Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze.
— Syracuse blew 21-7 lead, kicked FG on last play for the win.
— Total yardage: Liberty 369, Syracuse 305.
2) Wake Forest 37, Virginia 17:
— Virginia threw for 407 yards, outgained Deacons 506-473.
— Cavaliers were minus-2 in turnovers, had 11 penalties for 83 yards.
— Last 5+ years, Wake is 38-27 SU; USC should consider Clawson when they hire a new coach.
1) If the baseball playoffs started today (they don’t):
NL: Braves, Brewers, Giants. Wild Card: St Louis @ Los Angeles
AL: Rays, White Sox, Astros. Wild Card: New York @ Boston