13) 18 days ago, Kyle Schwarber was batting .218 with 9 HR, 26 RBI and a .716 OPS.
As I type this, he’s batting .257 with 25 HR, 53 RBI and a .911 OPS.
He has 16 homers in 18 days, and he is batting leadoff!!!
18 days ago, the Nationals were in last place, 8 games out; now they’re 39-38, in 2nd place in the NL East, only three games out of first place, 6.5 games out of a Wild Card slot.
12) Hawks 110, Bucks 88:
— Trae Young (foot) didn’t play, but Atlanta evens the series 2-2.
— Giannis Antetokounmpo hyperextended his knee, bad news for the Bucks.
11) Portland, OR had its hottest day ever over the weekend; it got to 108 degrees in a place where most homes don’t have air conditioning. Not good.
10) Colorado 8, Pittsburgh 0— Pirates were 6-3 in their last nine games before they went to Denver; then they got shut out two days in a row at Coors Field. German Marquez no-hit them until the 9th inning, when Ka’ai Tom singled leading off the inning.
9) Starting Tuesday’s action, starting pitchers for San Francisco had their best ERA since 1969, which is why they’re leading the NL West.
8) Seattle Mariners have used 52 players this season, most of any team in MLB; Milwaukee has used 50 players, 2nd-most in MLB.
7) NHL expansion draft is Wednesday, July 21; the new team in Seattle will select players, then the amateur draft for the whole league will be two nights later.
6) Looks as if Utah Jazz coach Quin Snyder won a power struggle within the organization; the executive VP of the team was reassigned to an advisory role, another exec was told to take a hike. Jazz went 52-20 in regular season, but their 2nd-round playoff loss to the Clippers left a bitter taste.
5) When college basketball starts five months from now, UAB Blazers will be an interesting team to follow; coach Andy Kennedy has poached five transfers, figures to have a contender for the top spot in Conference USA. Blazers were 22-7 LY, 13-5 in conference games.
4) NFL teams are worth an average of $3B, so when an NFL owner dies and there is a dispute over his estate, there will be lawyers.
There was a trial scheduled for July 12 in Denver, pitting the two oldest children of late Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and the trustees he appointed to carry out his estate plan- that trial has been cancelled, signaling that maybe the sides came to an agreement.
With sports gambling now legal in a lot of places, there are smart people speculating that the average value of an NFL team could double over the next few years. Whenever there is major money involved, people get testy, even if they’re related.
3) Major League Baseball needs to put the DH in for both leagues next year; the other day in Denver, Colorado P Kyle Freeland was throwing a shutout, but pulled his hamstring running the bases and head to leave the game. This happens too much; teams need their pitchers healthy.
2) Orioles 13, Astros 3— Baltimore pitchers walked 19 batters in the first two games of this series, but they won both games- that doesn’t happen much.
1) Montreal Canadiens made the Stanley Cup final, but during the regular season, they gave up nine more goals than they scored- that is unusual.
Only three teams in NHL history won the Stanley Cup with a negative goal differential:
1949— Maple Leafs
1967— Maple Leafs