1) Rounders— Movie about a law student/poker player; this movie is credited with helping the poker boom in the late 90’s.
2) Dave— Kevin Kline is hired to “stand-in” for the President because he looks just like him, but then the President has a stroke, and Kline has a new job.
3) The Bodyguard— Kevin Costner is a former Secret Service agent hired to protect a famous singer, who has a contract out on her.
4) Last Vegas— Four senior citizens who are lifelong friends head to Las Vegas for a bachelor party; their 70-year old friend is marrying a 30-year old. Morgan Freeman wins $87K playing blackjack, because, doesn’t everyone win in Vegas?
5) Begin Again— Down and out music producer discovers a talented young singer; together they produce an album, using New York City as the background.
6) Good Will Hunting— Robin Williams is a counselor who tries to help a young delinquent (who is also a Math genius) find his way.
7) The Verdict— Paul Newman is a down-on-his-luck lawyer who has a chance to win a big case and rehabilitate his career.
There is a scene in this movie that would never fly today; Newman’s character has a girlfriend in the movie- turns out she is a double-agent, working for the opposing lawyer to gain intel on the big case.
When Newman finds out, he meets the girlfriend in the lounge of a bar and decks her with one punch. Ouch.
8) Leap of Faith— Steve Martin runs amok as a traveling preacher; Debra Winger is his partner, Liam Neeson is the local sheriff trying to shut his act down. Meat Loaf is part of the music group that travels with the preacher.
9) Let It Ride— Richard Dreyfuss is a degenerate gambler who has one big day at the racetrack.
10) This Is Where I Leave You— After their father dies, four grown siblings return to their childhood home and live under the same roof together for a week.
11) Lincoln Lawyer— Matthew McConaughey plays a lawyer whose office is the back seat of his Lincoln Continental.
12) Prince of Tides— Nick Nolte is a high school football coach from South Carolina who travels to New York and falls for his sister’s therapist (Barbra Streisand).
13) One More Time— Christopher Walken is a past-his-prime lounge singer trying for one last comeback.