13) Seahawks 34, Vikings 30:
— Seattle outscored Vikings 24-0 during a 10:32 span of 2nd half.
— Seahawks ran ball for 218 yards, getting 29 on a fake punt to extend one drive.
— Kirk Cousins is now 0-8 on Monday Night Football.
— Only four penalties were called; should be more games like that.
12) 55-year old Chris Petersen is stepping down as Washington’s football coach, citing the need to “re-charge”.
Coaching a big time program like that takes its toll, and with guys making so much money, guys are retiring earlier- Bob Stoops, Urban Meyer and now Petersen have all walked away in the last few years.
11) Michigan plays Louisville tonight in the Yum! Center; Wolverines went from unranked to #4 in country in this week’s top 25. Louisville is the 4th team to be ranked #1 this season.
10) Bad news for Georgetown basketball; their 2nd and 5th-leading scorers are both going to transfer.James Akinjo and Josh LeBlanc. Akinjo was the Hoyas’ point guard; LaPhonso Ellis said in the ESPN studio Monday night that Georgetown now “has no chance to make NCAAs”
9) Other news on college football coaching carousel:
— Boston College fired coach Steve Addazio.
— Rutgers re-hired Greg Schiano as coach; he was their coach from 2001-11.
— Ole Miss fired coach Matt Luke; the players aren’t happy.
— South Florida fired Charlie Strong.
— Old Dominion coach Bobby Wilder left ODU after a 1-11 season.
— Texas Longhorns fired both their coordinators.
8) Random thought: Why is Creighton in the Big East? The school is in freakin’ Omaha, which is in Nebraska, which is pretty much in the middle of the country. I mean, Omaha is in eastern Nebraska, but Nebraska is directly below South Dakota- Creighton shouldn’t be in the Big East.
7) Virginia Commonwealth has had three basketball coaches in six years; they’ve sold out 140 consecutive home games. It is a very good job, it pays $1.2M a year, but they have trouble keeping guys there. Mark Few makes $1.78M a year at Gonzaga; at some point, you’d think someone would settle down there. I wonder if Shaka Smart regrets leaving?
6) So far this college basketball season, Ivy League underdogs are 13-6 ATS; league is getting better.
5) Disney/Apple hit home runs with the Christmas commercials they’re running during football games; the Apple commercial shows a couple of young girls using a tablet computer to make a video, featuring their grandfather and their late grandmother, using old photographs.
The Disney commercial shows a father and his daughter, as she prepares to leave for college; he relives their trips to Disney, back when she was a little girl. Two very good commercials.
4) Weird scheduling: these division rivals haven’t played each other yet this season, will play twice in last four weeks of season:
Titans-Texans, Eagles-Giants, Browns-Bengals.
3) Cincinnati Reds gave 3B Mike Moustakas a 4-year, $64M contract.
2) Memphis Tigers beat Cincinnati 34-24 in their regular season finale Saturday; the teams meet again this Saturday in the Conference USA title game, also in Memphis. Unusual.
1) We had around 18 inches of snow here in beautiful upstate New York the last couple days, depending on which town you live in, so here is a warm thought:
Baseball’s winter meetings start Monday in San Diego.