13) Tennessee 42, Bills 16
— Total yardage: 370-334 Buffalo, very misleading stat.
— Four of six Tennessee TD drives were 30 or fewer yards.
— Buffalo converted 13-17 third down plays, and only scored 16 points.
— All five Buffalo games went over the total.
— Tennessee won its first four games, scoring 30.5 ppg.
— Titans are +8 in turnovers, best ratio in the league.
— Tennessee is 4-0 for first time since 2008.
— Titans won field position by 29 yards, biggest margin I’ve seen.
12) With Buffalo playing last night, their Thursday night game with the Chiefs this week was pushed back to Sunday afternoon— NFL won’t have a Thursday night game this week, but there are a couple college games on the board to amuse us.
11) Dallas Cowboys signed QB Garrett Gilbert to fill out its QB room; Gilbert was the leading passer in the AAF before it folded (Orlando Apollos)- he was drafted by the Rams, played at Texas/SMU in college and was most recently on Cleveland’s practice squad.
10) How will the Dallas offense change with Dak Prescott out? Andy Dalton is obviously a competent NFL QB, but he isn’t as mobile- I figure the Cowboys will run the ball more.
Dallas has taken 76.2 snaps/game so far this year, most in the league; only 15.7% of those plays came on 3rd down, 2nd lowest %age in the NFL, behind Seattle. Cowboys’ tempo figures to slow down some, don’t you think?
9) Thru five games, Seattle has run 76 fewer plays than their opponents, but they’re 5-0; 12 of their 23 touchdowns have come on plays of 18+ yards.
Surprising stat: Seattle has allowed 25+ points in each of its last 10 home games.
8) Last four games, LA Chargers have been outscored 64-29 in 2nd half/OT; they lost all four games, all by 7 or fewer points, two of them in OT.
7) So far this season, AFC teams are 11-9-1 SU vs NFC opponents.
6) This is the first time ever that Iowa State is in the college football top 25, while Texas and Oklahoma are outside the top 25.
5) Wichita State basketball coach Gregg Marshall is being investigated by the school after he was charged with mental/physical abuse by former players. Marshall has been at Wichita for 13 years; he led the Shockers to the 2013 Final Four, has made the NCAAs 7 of the last 8 years it was played- they were 23-8 LY, so they would’ve made it again.
4) Some good news in college basketball; Mountain West will play an 18-game conference season, starting December 29.
3) Kansas State QB Skyler Thompson is out for the year, with an arm/shoulder/collarbone injury. Freshman Will Howard steps in to replace him- he was 8-19/117 yards and an INT in the Wildcats’ 21-14 win at TCU last week.
2) Rays 5, Astros 2 (Tampa Bay leads 3-0)
— Yarbrough threw five strong innings; five relievers closed the game out.
— Rays scored all five of their runs in 6th inning; Wendle knocked in two runs.
— Altuve homered in first inning in 2 of 3 games in this series, but he also had a huge throwing error. After not having a throwing error all season, he has three in this series.
1) Braves 8, Dodgers 7 (Atlanta leads 2-0):
— Braves are 7-0 in the playoffs, but hung on for dear life in this game.
— Atlanta led 7-0 in 7th inning; Dodgers had tying run on third in last inning.
— Atlanta’s rookie P Anderson was lifted after four shutout innings (85 PT).
— Albies homered into the Atlanta bullpen again; for 2nd straight night, closer Melancon caught the ball on the fly.