13) Someone posted what each starting QB is worth to their team’s power rating, courtesy of Betonline.ag :
7.5 points: Aaron Rodgers
7 points: Mahomes, Wilson, Brady
6.5 points: Carson Wentz, Philip Rivers
+1 point: Manning
0 points: Dalton, Fitzpatrick, Keenum
1 point: Allen, Carr, Flacco, Mariota, Murray
12) Nationals 11, Mets 10:
— deGrom vs Scherzer isn’t supposed to end 11-10.
— Mets led 5-4 after eight innings, then they scored five runs in top of 9th.
— Washington scored seven runs in bottom of 9th; Suzuki hit a walk-off homer.
11) Marlins 5, Pirates 4 (11)— Miami ends its 15-game road losing streak, the longest such losing streak since 2010. when the Pirates lost 17 consecutive road games.
10) Minnesota Twins set the all-time single season home run record this year, but they’re the only team this season that hasn’t hit two grand slams- they’ve only hit one.
9) Speaking of home runs, Jorge Soler hit his 39th homer this season Tuesday, setting the Kansas City Royals’ single season record.
8) Westgate’s football SuperContest pays the top 100 finishers, plus it pays $15,000 for the Week 4 leader, $15,000 for Week 8 leader and a $15,000 mini-contest for Weeks 15-17 (for the 2,907 early-bird entrants). Over 3,000 entrants are expected to be in the SuperContest this year.
It costs $1,500 to enter, and you pick five NFL games every week.
7) Los Angeles Rams did a smart thing Tuesday, inking QB Jared Goff to a contract extension that keeps him in LA until at least 2024. Goff is one of only 13 quarterbacks who started a Super Bowl in their first three years in the NFL- he is 24-14 as an NFL starter, 24-7 under Sean McVay.
Goff banks $134M for four years, $110M of it guaranteed.
6) My sleep habits are weird, so I can see lot of games when they’re played overseas, but these World Cup basketball games in China are on at times when even I am asleep, from 4:30-10:30 am, so I’m going to miss out on them, unless NBA TV or ESPN replays them.
Saw that the American team needed OT to beat Turkey by a point; that not good.
5) Monday night’s Colorado-Dodger game was the first time in major league history there were 11+ doubles and 11+ homers in the same game.
4) Cody Bellinger has 44 home runs this season, off of 44 different pitchers.
3) From ESPN’s Michele Steele: When the Chicago Bears won the 1963 NFL title (before the Super Bowl existed), the NFL didn’t have a championship trophy, so Chicago mayor Richard Daley had a trophy made and presented it to the Bears.
2) 2019 Oakland Raiders were the 14th team to be featured on Hard Knocks; here is how the other 13 teams did both that season and in their Week 1 game:
— 5 of 13 teams made the playoffs; none made the Super Bowl.
— 3 of last 5 years, featured head coach was fired during/after the season.
— Teams are 4-7-1 SU in Week 1; ’17 Bucs had their opener postponed by a storm.
— Teams are 5-6-1 vs spread in Week 1; 3-3 as favorites, 2-3-1 as underdogs.
1) If the baseball playoff started today (they don’t):
NL: Braves-Cardinals-Dodgers. Wild Card: Cubs @ Nationals
AL: New York-Twins-Astros. Wild Card: A’s @ Rays