13) The NBA wanted an “integrity fee” from states with legalized sports betting across the country, but when Lebron James had a broken hand in the NBA Finals and the Cavaliers/NBA kept it under wraps, where was the bleeping “integrity” then?
Every state with legalized sports betting should hire people from Las Vegas to run their legalized gambling; thats the best way to assure that things will be the run the correct way.
12) Orioles’ DH Chris Davis is hitting .150 thru 57 games this season; Baltimore is on the hook for Davis— $21M a year thru 2022. From 2013-16, Davis hit 164 homers. Now? Not so much.
11) Andrew Luck threw a football at Colts’ mini-camp Tuesday, first time in over 500 days he threw a football after his shoulder injury. Good news for Indianapolis.
Deshaun Watson is practicing at Houston’s mini-camp with no knee brace. Watson threw for 19 TD’s with only 8 INT’s in seven games (6 starts) LY, before he hurt his knee. Texans were 3-3 in his starts.
10) Pretty cool pic on Twitter last night of Vegas Golden Knights’ goalie Marc Andre Fleury playing street hockey with kids in his Las Vegas neighborhood. Imagine being a little kid and going outside to play ball with a pro athlete?
9) Sounds like the NHL’s Ottawa Senators have some problems; the wife of one Senators’ player filed a restraining order against the fiancé of another Senators player.
According to the Ottawa Citizen, “…..the order of protection filed by one player’s wife alleges that the longtime girlfriend of another Ottawa player is behind an extensive and aggressive campaign of harassment against them since at least November of 2017. “
How would you like to be coaching a team where two of your better players’ wife/girlfriend hate each other’s guts?
8) Dodgers put P Walker Buehler on the DL with a microfracture in his ribs.
A’s put P Trevor Cahill (achilles) on the DL.
Miguel Cabrera left the Tigers’ game early Tuesday with a ruptured left bicep tendon that will require surgery- he is out for the year.
7) Ken Pomeroy posted that Nevada Wolf Pack called only 0.70 timeouts per game (not counting OT periods) last year; no one else in the country averaged less than 1.13 TO’s per game.
6) Quote of the Day, part 2: “Having worked at 7 different universities, I can tell you changing AD’s is like the starter’s pistol for exit of coaches.”
Bob Valvano, who was a pretty good college hoop coach himself
5) Oakland Raiders released QB Christian Hackenberg from its 90-man roster Tuesday, three weeks after getting him from the Jets for a conditional 7th-round draft pick in 2019.
If I were a friend of Hackenberg’s, I’d suggest he play in the Arena League- think it helps develop a QB’s decision-making.
4) Ravens’ coach John Harbaugh has mentioned “playing two QB’s at once” when Baltimore has the ball this season, which may be a veiled way of suggesting Lamar Jackson will play some WR while not actually saying he will be playing WR, since Jackson sees himself as a QB only.
3) Mets’ TV guy Ron Darling was frustrated when Zack Wheeler gave up a hit on an 0-2 pitch that allowed the Braves to score a run; Darling hinted that pitchers are hesitant to waste pitches nowadays because it goes against their pitch count, shortens their appearances.
“No way should a batter get anything good to hit on an 0-2 pitch.”
2) Ashton Grewal of covers.com points out that since 2006, CFL underdogs are 115-66-2 against the spread (63.5%) in the first four weeks of the season.
1) Brewers 4, Cubs 0— Big sigh of relief in Milwaukee.
Before this game, Brewers were 1-8 in their first nine games against the Cubs this season; they scored 11 runs total in those nine games.