13) College basketball has an under-reported problem; high level teams are openly recruiting players from other teams to transfer. This is total BS, scummy behavior.
They were talking on Twitter Monday that Utah State’s Koby McEwen was being recruited by a team, and Utah State coach Tim Duryea had to be “stern” with the school. McEwen will be back in Logan next winter- he was Mountain West Freshman of the Year this year.
12) There were four OT games in the NHL playoffs Monday nite, first time that happened since 1985. Of all the pro sports, NHL has the most exciting playoffs.
11) Free throw breakdown from Game 2 in the Memphis-San Antonio series:
Memphis (whole team) 13-15
Kawhi Leonard 19-19
Rest of the Spurs 12-13 (31-32 total)
This is why Memphis Coach Fizdale was snippy in his post-game press conference; his team got hosed and it is his job to protect his team from that happening again.
10) New Mexico State hired former Bowling Green coach Chris Jans as its new basketball coach. Jans comes from the Wichita State coaching tree- he went 21-12 in his one season coaching the Falcons two years ago (their only 20+-win season since 2002), but was fired after an incident in a bar where he was hitting on a woman while drunk and the incident was captured on someone’s phone.
9) Do the Angels need to trade Mike Trout? They’re not a good team; Trout would bring back a lot of talent, but would it be enough talent to make them good again? And if they were still bad despite trading their best player, would that put a dent in home attendance?
Baseball America ranked the Angels’ farm system as worst in the major leagues, so not lot of help coming up from the minors anytime soon.
8) Good news for those of us in beautiful upstate New York; the first weekend of the NCAA tournament is coming to Albany in 2020- think it will be the third time Albany has hosted March Madness.
7) Ad behind the plate at Safeco Field; “Leafless in Seattle” for a leaf blower to put your leaves on other people’s lawns. Solid play on words/movie titles.
6) It gets annoying when national baseball writers start speculation on trades in April; could we let teams fall out of contention before we make them sellers? Milwaukee is 8-7, not a bad start, but you read lot of Ryan Braun-to-Dodgers stuff.
5) Pirates lost CF Starling Marte for 80 games for a PED offense; Andrew McCutchen was back in centerfield Tuesday night. Adam Frazier takes over in right.
4) Pirates lost 2-1 in St Louis the last two nights; their pitchers threw only 177 pitches in 16 innings, an average of 11.1 per inning, not a lot. Whats wrong with the Cardinals?
3) Toronto 106, Milwaukee 100— Raptors scored the last six points of the game, evened series 1-1.
2) Imagine being a major leaguer who is off to a bad start; when you come to bat, they put your batting average on those huge scoreboards— if you’re hitting under .200, it puts lot of pressure on you to do better. Even great athletes have crises of confidence.
1— Get well soon, Bruce Bochy; the Giants’ skipper had a minor heart procedure this week, isn’t managing the ball club in Kansas City.