13) Green Bay Packers hired Titans’ OC Matt LaFleur as their new head coach. In 2017, LaFleur served as OC under Sean McVay in Los Angeles in a season where the Rams finished the year ranked as the NFL’s 10th best offense.
LaFleur also spent three seasons on the same coaching staff with McVay in Washington (2011-13) with LaFleur serving as QB coach and McVay serving as tight ends coach.
12) Atlanta Falcons fortified their coaching staff by adding two former head coaches as assistants; Dirk Koetter as OC, Mike Mularkey as tight ends’ coach. Koetter is an upgrade at OC over Steve Sarkisian.
11) Since 1994, Kansas City Chiefs are 0-6 in home playoff games; last time they won a home playoff game, 27-24 over the Steelers in ‘94, their QB was Joe Montana.
This year’s Chiefs are first-ever NFL team to score 26+ points in every game of a season.
10) From Josh Dubow of AP: Last time Nick Saban lost a game by more than 14 points was December 17, 2006, when Buffalo beat Saban’s Miami Dolphins 21-0 behind three TD passes from JP Losman.
Lot of water under the bridge since then.
9) Arizona Cardinals parted ways wth coach Bruce Arians after LY, then drafted a young QB and hired a new coach who is defense-oriented, who they then fired after one year.
Meanwhile, Arians is about to resurface as the coach in Tampa Bay, while young QB Rosen didn’t have a great year. I’m not sure what the Cardinals were thinking when they cut Arians loose, but hiring Kliff Kingsbury at least makes some sense for them- it should be good for Rosen’s career.
8) On the flip side of that argument is this: Texas Tech fired Kingsbury Nov 26; 43 days later, he’s an NFL head coach? Thats a career move that hasn’t happened very often, if ever.
7) In each of last ten years, Miami Dolphins’ record has ranged from 6-10 to 10-6; they’re only team in NFL that can say that. Dolphins have made the playoffs twice in last 17 years. Last time Miami won or lost more than 10 games in a season was their 11-5 season in 2008.
6) Underrated coach: Kenny Atkinson of the Brooklyn Nets, who has led his team to a 20-22 record this season. Nets last finished over .500 five years ago; they won less than 30 games the last three years, so Atkinson is doing good work with a roster full of guys lot of other teams didn’t want. Nets right now hold the 8th and final playoff spot in the East.
5) With Titans’ OC Matt LaFleur being hired as head coach in Green Bay, that means Marcus Mariota will have his 4th OC in five years with Tennessee next season. Not good.
Meanwhile, Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins tweeted that he “didn’t want to go back to the crib.” Haskins is from New Jersey; he posted a pic of him in a Giants’ uniform, but then the tweet was quickly deleted. His agent probably had a heart attack when he saw the tweet.
4) If you’re betting on the Sony Open golf tournament this weekend, keep in mind that the last five Sony Open champs also played in Kapalua the week before.
3) Mike McKenna became the 7th different goalie to start for the Philadelphia Flyers this year, tying the 1989-90 Quebec Nordiques for the most goalies ever used in one season.
2) In the last 27 years, Washington Redskins are only NFL team that hasn’t had at least one season when they went 11-5 or better; even the Browns and Lions had one. New England has had 16 of them.
1) Dueling trends: Patriots covered 12 of their last 15 home games; Chargers are 9-0 SU outside of Los Angeles this season.