13) Wednesday at 4pm is baseball’s trade deadline; last year, there were 18 trades made on July 31. Will today be a busy day or a dud?
There was a 3-way trade Tuesday night:
— Cleveland gets OF’s Yasiel Puig, Franmil Reyes, P Logan Allen
— Cincinnati gets P Trevor Bauer
— San Diego gets OF prospect Taylor Trammell
After the trade, Puig was still playing for the Reds, and Pirates-Reds got into a fracas, with Puig getting ejected, after the Reds had traded him.
Reds manager David Bell had been ejected previously in the game; he came out of the clubhouse to join the fray, which should result in him getting a long suspension.
12) Apparently, there is a growing sentiment among baseball GMs to push the trade deadline back to August 15 in the future, to give teams more time to determine whether they are buyers or sellers and i guess, to decide whether they’re contenders or not.
11) Seahawks had been bet down to -7.5 over Cincinnati in Week 1, but now AJ Green’s injury has pushed the spread up to Seattle -9.5.
10) Indianapolis Colts shut QB Andrew Luck down for a few days because of a left calf strain that has bothered him since late April. Jacoby Brissett is the Colts’ backup QB.
9) Chargers visit Miami in Week 4 this season; they’ve lost last eight visits to South Beach, with last win there the 41-38 OT win in ’81 playoffs, the Kellen Winslow Sr (13 catches, 166 yards, one TD) game.
8) Which NFL player has most money wagered on him to win NFL MVP this year? At Casesars, it is Chicago Bears QB Mitchell Trubisky; he has 5th-most money wagered on him at Westgate.
Trubisky opened 75-1 at Caesars to win MVP; he is down to 25-1 now.
7) Baseball stuff:
— Orioles put OF Dwight Smith (calf strain) on IL.
— White Sox activated SS Tim Anderson from the IL.
6) Cleveland Browns announced they’ll honor Otto Graham with a statue at FirstEnergy Stadium this year; statues are a cool way of honoring great players/coaches from a team’s past.
5) Competitive eater Joey Chestnut was in Georgia this week, taking advantage of a restaurant’s $15.99 all-you-can-eat wing deal … the guy ate 413 wings in 12 hours- that’s an average of about 34 wings an hour.
4) Toronto Blue Jays have used 11 different leadoff hitters this season; no one else has used more than nine (Cubs, Rays).
3) Imagine being Raiders’ owner Mark Davis; you’re paying Jon Gruden $100M to coach your team, and here he is in training camp praising 3rd-string QB Nathan Peterman, the worst QB in NFL history, Would this bother you? It sure as hell would bother me.
2) Portland Trailblazers’ G CJ McCollum agreed to a three-year, $100M contract extension — extending his current deal to five years, $157M. Good day for CJ.
1) Unusual stat of the day; Justin Verlander (28) has allowed the most home runs in the major leagues this season.