13) Angels 6, Rangers 5 (10)— Halos did it again; they trailed this game 5-0 in 7th inning, but won and are now 6-2 and atop the AL West. Angels scored seven runs in bottom of the ninth to stun the Mariners 10-9 on Sunday.
There have been 61 games already this season where a team trailed by 3+ runs in the ninth inning; Angels are 2-0, everyone else is 0-59.
12) Three years ago, December of 2013, my buddy Mike and I watched a Christmas tournament here in Las Vegas, at Bishop Gorman HS— Gorman’s third-string center was a sophomore named Zach Collins, who went on to play at Gonzaga this season, scoring 10 ppg in 17.2 mpg.
Now the young man is off to the NBA, following in the footsteps of his HS teammate Stephen Zimmerman, who played one year at UNLV and now plays for Orlando’s D-League team.
Wish the kid well, but I am skeptical this is the best thing for his development as a player- he only played 17.2 minutes/game this year, now all of a sudden he is a pro?
11) Sacramento’s Georgios Papagiannis got a technical foul last night; it was the Kings’ first technical foul since they traded DeMarcus Cousins February 20- they had been the only NBA team without a technical during that time.
10) Why did Tony Romo suit up for the Dallas Mavericks last night?
9) When Fred Couples won The Masters 25 years ago, he drove the ball 20 yards shorter than he did this past weekend, at age 57. Golf equipment has made golf courses a lot shorter.
8) Monday night, Washington Nationals were first big league team in four years to have an error from all four infield positions in the same game.
7) Buster Posey goes on the 7-day concussion DL; you wonder if he will wind up moving out from behind the plate to avoid more of this in the future, though this one came when he was batting, not catching?
6) If Erik Spoelstra wins NBA Coach of the Year and Miami misses the playoffs (they were 11-30 at one point), would that be the first time it ever happened?
5) Quinnipiac transfer Mikey Dixon signs on with St John’s; from what I read on the Interweb Tuesday, this is a good get for Chris Mullin’s team.
4) New Mexico hired its new basketball coach; Paul Weir, who comes from rival New Mexico State, which should make the two Lobo-Aggie games next season more interesting.
Weir has strong recruiting connections in Canada; Aggies will have their third coach in three seasons next year- -Marvin Menzies left Las Cruces LY to be the coach at UNLV.
3) Longest NFL playoff droughts: Buffalo 17 years, Cleveland 14 years, Rams 12 years.
2) I’m convinced that defensive shifts in baseball are overdone, especially early in innings vs players with excellent bat control. Why is it done so much? Maybe to justify the analytics people having their jobs- there have to be some pitchers who cringe about shifts. Behind closed doors, I’m guessing there almost has to be debate about the validity of shifting so much.
1— Matt Harvey left his start last night in the sixth inning with a tight hamstring; Mets led 10-2, so not sure if it was just a precaution, but the Mets need Harvey healthy this season.