13) Never really thought about this much, but Ross Tucker wrote an article in The Athletic this week about how a lot of active pro football players despise watching the NFL Draft, because he might be watching his employer select a player who will then take his job this summer.
Welcome to Case Keenum’s world; when he suits up for the Redskins this fall he’ll be on his fifth team in six years, at the most visible position in all of sports. No pressure there. But there are rumors that Washington will trade for Josh Rosen or draft a QB, which means that in 2020, it would likely be six teams in seven years.
12) Thru Monday, there were 1.34 home runs hit per game in major league games, ahead of 2017’s pace of 1.26 HR’s/game, which is the all-time record.
11) One member of Georgia’s football recruiting office has been fired and another suspended for 30 days without pay. No one is saying why, but it can’t be good.
10) 49ers’ kicker Robbie Gould told the team that he will not negotiate or sign a long-term deal with them— he requested a trade. Gould is 36; he was the Bears’ kicker for 11 years.
9) Seattle Seahawks traded DE Frank Clark to the Chiefs for a 1st-round pick this year and a 2nd-round pick next year. Teams also exchanged 3rd round picks this year.
8) Tampa Bay Buccaneers have no games in Tampa between Sept. 22 and Nov. 10; they’re not happy about it.
7) Angels’ Peter Bourjos had played in 1,454 professional games in 14 seasons before Monday’s game. In the 13th inning, he made his first-ever appearance in the infield, playing 2B, and made a great diving stop going to his left to rob a batter of a hit.
Halos used P Felix Pena as a pinch-runner in that game; last time the Angels used a pitcher as a pinch-runner had been Steve Sparks vs Arizona on June 13, 1999.
6) Arizona poached G Max Hazzard as a grad transfer from Cal-Irvine; Hazzard’s brother was a walk-on at Arizona from 2012-16. Funny thing, Cal-Irvine was better than Arizona last year, when Hazzard scored 12.5 ppg for the Anteaters- he is the grandson of former UCLA coach Walt Hazzard.
Idaho State has two kids transferring out of the program, which is never a good sign; one is a 6-11 center who scored 10 points a game, the other a sub who played 19 minutes/game.
5) North Carolina had a big recruiting day, signing two hoop prospects; Cole Anthony (Greg Anthony’s son) and Anthony Harris, a couple of talented guards.
4) Blue Jays SS prospect Bo Bichette broke his left hand when he was hit by a pitch in Monday night’s game; Bichette plays for the AAA Buffalo Bisons.
3) This will be the first time ever that the Texas Longhorns will go four years in a row without a first round pick in the NFL Draft.
2) NBA said Tuesday that 233 players — 175 players from colleges/other schools and 58 international players — filed as early entry candidates for the 2019 NBA Draft.
Seeing how only 60 players get taken in the draft, going to be some disappointed people.
1) College football rules change starting this fall: If game reaches a 5th OT, teams will begin to run alternating 2-point plays rather than offensive possessions starting at 25-yard line. There were concerns about players being injured/getting exhausted with a couple games going six or seven OT’s in recent years.