13) Red Sox-Dodgers-Twins made a 3-team trade Tuesday night.
— Boston gets: OF Alex Verdugo, P Brusdar Graterol
— Dodgers get: OF Mookie Betts, P David Price.
— Twins get: P Kenta Maeda
— Red Sox are paying some of Price’s salary over the next three years, maybe as much as half. He is owed $96M over the next three seasons.
— Why was Boston so anxious to trade Betts? 27 years old, scored 264 runs, knocked in 160 the last two years.
12) Dodgers also traded OF Joc Peterson to the Angels for utility guy Luis Rentifo; there were other prospects exchanged in this deal, not sure which ones.
11) There was also a 4-team, 12-player trade in the NBA that is way too complicated to try and analyze here. Timberwolves pretty much cleaned house, trading five players, getting four back, plus a first round draft pick.
10) Houston Astros hired James Click as their new GM; he used to be the Rays’ VP of baseball operations. 42-year-old Click has spent the last 14 years with the Rays, including the last three as a high-ranking member of the baseball operations staff.
New GM’s of the Red Sox, Astros both worked for Tampa Bay last season.
9) This gambler had a bad day at MGM Grand in Las Vegas Sunday:
— $50K on over 10.5, 1st quarter- L
— $500K on 49ers 1st half (pick)- T
— $550K on 49ers, +1.5- L
— $500K on over 26.5 1st half- L
— $330K on over 53.5- L
— $220K more over over 53.5- L
— $285K on 49ers 2nd half (pick)- L
Guy lost almost $2M Sunday. Thats million, with an M.
8) Chiefs’ playoff run:
— First round: Had bye after Patriots (-17) lost in Week 17
— Second round: W51-31. Trailed 24-0 with 11:00 left in half.
— AFC title game: W35-24. Trailed 17-7 wth 5:00 left in half.
— Super Bowl: W31-20. Trailed 20-10 with 7:00 left in game.
Quite a run. Lot of drama.
7) Reigning champs in the four major sports:
— Chiefs, NFL— Won first title in 50 years.
— Nationals, MLB— Won first title ever in October.
— Raptors, NBA— Won first title ever last spring.
— Blues, NHL— Won first title ever last spring.
6) Tuesday night upsets:
— Tennessee (+6) 69, Alabama 68
— Penn State (+5.5) 75, Michigan State 70
— Northern Illinois (+5.5) 66, Toledo 61
— Western Michigan (+5.5) 64, Miami 60
— Ball State (+4) 62, Kent State 54
— Eastern Michigan (+4) 66, Buffalo 62
5) College football stuff:
— Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio steps down the day before the second Signing Day, which is more than a little weird.
— KJ Costello bolts from Stanford to Mississippi State, because all QB’s want to play for Mike Leach.
— Former Clemson QB Chase Brice is jumping to ACC rival Duke.
4) 76ers lost 10 of their last 12 road games (1-10-1 ATS); how can a team with this much talent do so poorly on the road?
3) Lefty P Marco Gonzales gets four years, $30M to stay with the Mariners.
2) ESPN’s Fran Fraschilla was highly critical of Kansas State G Cartier Diarra during Monday night’s home loss to Baylor, questioning his commitment to the team after he got a technical foul in the first half. You don’t hear a lot of that on network TV broadcasts.
1) If you love football, XFL starts Saturday; there will be four games each week for ten weeks, with eight teams playing in the league’s first season.