13) This season’s bowl records:
Big 14: 3-2
Big X: 1-4
Sun Belt: 2-2
12) From Darren Rovell:
Bettor who bet $74,430 on Patriots to beat Dolphins straight up would have won $4,651, but New England lost.
At the same sportsbook, a bettor wagered $744.55 on the Dolphins to win straight up. He won $6,329.
11) Cleveland Browns fired GM John Dorsey Tuesday, fortifying their position as the worst-run franchise in the NFL. They have zero continuity from year to year, are now replacing their coach and GM, and if the new people aren’t big Baker Mayfield fans, they’ll change QB’s again.
Baylor coach Matt Rhule declined an interview with the Browns; smart guy.
10) Next year, the Browns will have their 8th head coach in 12 years; the Steelers have had three head coaches in the last 50 years.
9) 37-year old QB Ryan Fitzpatrick ran the ball for 215 yards this year; that led the Dolphins in rushing for the season.
Marlon Mack of the Colts ran the ball for 225 yards in one game this season.
8) Chicago Bears fired four assistants, including OC Mark Helfrich, and re-committed to QB Mitch Trubisky for next year.
7) Arizona State 20, Florida State 14— From 2012-16, Seminoles went 59-9; the last three years, they’re 18-20, and will have their third coach in four years next season.
6) I’m still trying to process that Seattle had 21 first downs in the 2nd half Sunday; they’ve had seven games this season where they had less than 21 first downs for the whole game.
5) Solid bit of trivia: Howard Schultz is the guy who used to be the CEO of Starbucks; he grew up in Brooklyn, but went to college at Northern Michigan, where he tried out for the football team, as a QB. But Northern Michigan already had a good QB, a guy named Steve Mariucci, who went on to coach the 49ers and Lions in the NFL.
Starbucks is overpriced, but they do have excellent lemon pound cake.
4) Baylor coach Matt Rhule is one of the ten highest paid coaches in the country? Wow. Word is the Giants are interested in hiring Rhule as their next coach.
3) Detroit Lions fired six assistant coaches, which raises the question: Why did they keep the head coach? What has he done to justify his continued employment?
2) Minnesota Twins signed pitchers Rich Hill ($3M), Homer Bailey ($7M) to one-year deals; Hill isn’t expected to pitch until June after having his arm operated on recently.
1) Happy New Year, everyone. Hope 2020 is a great year for all of us.