13) Much like the 49ers did in September, Cleveland Browns are playing back/back games in the Meadowlands, playing the Jets this week after beating the Giants last week.
12) Speaking of the 49ers, San Francisco QB Nick Mullens may need Tommy John surgery on his elbow; the 49ers added QB Josh Rosen to their roster, plucking him off Tampa Bay’s practice squad. He will back up CJ Beathard for the 49ers’ last two games.
11) Monday night was first time since 1986 the Steelers didn’t have any first downs in their first five series of a game- they had only two first downs the whole first half.
10) NBA teams have skill development coaches who work with players on improving shooting, passing, all kinds of skills; it makes a huge difference. Take Kawhi Leonard.
In two years at San Diego State, Leonard shot 20.5%/29.1% behind the arc; he shot 49.7% inside the arc in two years as an Aztec. He was the 15th pick in the 2001 pick. Go figure.
In the NBA, Leonard is a 38.3% shooter behind the arc, a longer shot than in college and he is a 53.3% shooter inside the arc. San Antonio had a shooting coach named Chip Engelland- he played for Duke- who worked wonders with Leonard and helped make him really, really rich.
9) NC State 79, North Carolina 76:
— State beat Carolina for only 4th time in last 30 series games.
— Wolfpack led 46-29 in first half.
— State’s freshman G Moore scored 17 points off the bench.
8) Texas Tech 69, Oklahoma 67:
— Tech’s first two Big X games (1-1) were decided by total of three points.
— Oklahoma was 17-27 on the foul line, Tech 9-10.
7) Kansas 79, West Virginia 65:
— Jayhawks were 16-37 behind the arc; they’ve won their last eight games.
6) Iowa 70, Purdue 55:
— Hawkeyes bounce back from their Gonzaga loss with strong effort here.
— Iowa was 10-14 on foul line, Purdue 1-3.
5) Wichita State 82, South Florida 77 OT
— Shockers win first two AAC games, by 5-4 points.
— USF jumped out to a 27-14 lead.
— Lot of whistles: Bulls were 27-41 on foul line; Wichita 22-33.
4) Former big league OF Sam Fuld was named general manager of the Phillies; Fuld played in the majors as recently as 2015. 39 years old is young to be a major league GM, but the guy who will make the final decisions in Philly is Dave Dombrowski.
3) College football coaches lead a nomadic existence; LSU had a lousy year, so they’re shuffling lot of their coaches. Same thing at Michigan, where they fired their defensive coordinator, who had been there five years, which is a long time for a college assistant.
2) Nevada 38, Tulane 27:
— Nevada QB Strong threw for 271 yards, five TD’s.
— Wolf Pack had two guys run for 100+ yards each.
1) BYU 49, Central Florida 23:
— Cougars rang up 655 yards, led 35-10 at halftime.
— BYU QB Wilson threw for 425 yards, three TD’s.