13) Dak Prescott got a 4-year, $160M contract from the Cowboys, which apparently includes a $1M incentive for winning a Super Bowl. $126M of that money is guaranteed.
Prescott has a 42-27 career W-L record in regular season, 1-2 in playoffs; he played in only five games last season, after he broke/dislocated his ankle.
12) Here’s something you don’t see every day; Monday night, Milwaukee Brewers brought in a relief pitcher late in their game, but turns out the guy’s name wasn’t written on the lineup card, so he couldn’t pitch, and they had to quickly get someone else warmed up to enter the game.
You wouldn’t think stuff like that would happen in the major leagues.
11) Players who have had 3+-homer games for three different teams:
— Johnny Mize— StL, NYG, NYY
— Alex Rodriguez— Sea, Tex, NYY
— Dave Kingman— Cubs, NYM, A’s
— Mark Teizeira— Tex, Atl, NYY
— JD Martinez— Det, Ariz, Bos
10) Most pitches thrown in a game this season:
118– Johnny Cueto
113— Shane Bieber (last night)
112— Joe Musgrove (perfect game)
111— Lance Lynn
110– Trevor Bauer
105— Johnny Cueto
9) Longtime major league ump Joe West has been awarded $500,000 plus interest in damages in a defamation suit against former MLB catcher Paul LoDuca that was filed in October 2019.
There was a podcast where LoDuca accused reliever Billy Wagner of bribing West to get a bigger strike zone. He accused that Wagner let West use his 1957 vintage Chevrolet to make the strike zone change when he was up at bat.
Apparently, LoDuca lied in the podcast about how many times West has ejected him in his career; the judge who made the ruling raised the possibility that West will not be elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame because of LoDuca’s statements.
West, by the way, was one of the umpires in the replay center Sunday night, when they missed a call on the Phillies scoring the winning run on a close play at home plate in the last inning.
8) Rangers 8, Rays 3— Texas breaks out for eight runs, after being shut out in three of their previous four games.
7) Red Sox 4, Twins 2— Boston wins its 7th game in a row on a snowy afternoon in Minnesota. Rafael Devers has hit five homers in his last four games.
6) Denver Nuggets’ star Jamal Murray tore his ACL, is out for the year, tough break for a Denver team that is 34-20, the #4-seed in the Western Conference.
5) Mets 4-4, Phillies 3-0: Big day for the Metropolitans, who swept a twinbill, holding the Phils to three runs total.
4) “I don’t know who that is. I know he’s going to be the owner. But I don’t know anything about baseball.”
Thats Timberwolves’ star rookie Anthony Edwards, talking about baseball Hall of Famer Alex Rodriguez, who will soon be a co-owner of Minnesota’s NBA team.
3) Former NFL running back Eddie George is the new football coach at Tennessee State; George played nine seasons in the NFL and ran for 10,441 yards, but he has never coached before.
George played for the Tennessee Titans, where his coach was Jeff Fisher, whose son Brandon is expected to be on the Tennessee State coaching staff.
2) Now that Chris Beard is the basketball coach at Texas, they’re going to poach players from teams all over the country. Longhorns poached kids from Utah/Kentucky on Tuesday, and also announced that Andrew Jones will be staying with the Longhorns next season.
1) Having trouble getting used to doubleheaders being 7-inning games; a game is 2-2 in fifth inning and you forget that this is a late-inning situation. You do the same thing for 60 years, it is difficult to shift gears and think in a different way.