13) Saint Mary’s 51, BYU 50— Jordan Ford is freakin’ awesome; after scoring 42 points in an epic double OT win over Pepperdine Saturday night, when he played the entire 50:00, Ford scoring the winning hoop with 0:01.4 left in this game, sending the Gaels into the WCC title game with Gonzaga tonight.
12) With Florida State getting the #1 seed in the ACC tournament, coach Leonard Hamilton banks a $100,000 bonus; hope he at least buys the players a few pizzas.
11) In the Big 14, Wisconsin’s teams have had a weird mastery over Minnesota:
— Badgers finished ahead of Minnesota in football 16 years in a row.
— Badgers finished ahead of Minnesota in basketball the last 22 years.
10) East Tennessee State 72, Wofford 58— ETSU coach Steve Forbes is 130-43 in five years as coach of the Bucs; he is a very good coach. This will be ETSU’s 2nd NCAA tournament under Forbes.
When he was growing up in Iowa, Forbes once gave up a home run to future major leaguer Tim Salmon in a Little League game.
9) Creighton is all excited about being the #1 seed in the Big East tournament this week, but if St John’s beats Georgetown Wednesday, the Bluejays’ reward for their top seed will be an actual road game against the 9th-seeded Red Storm in Madison Square Garden.
8) Green Bay G Amari Davis is a 6-3 freshman who is scoring 15.9 ppg, with a stat line that doesn’t look like he plays in 2020:
— 2-point shots: 200-389, 51.4%
— foul shots: 90-125, 72%
— 3-point shots: 0-7
Green Bay makes 36.6% of its 3’s as a team, but Davis isn’t a part of that.
— Miami (+9) 85, Buffalo 79
— Ill-Chicago (+6) 73, Wright State 56
— Saint Mary’s (+4) 51, BYU 50
6) Coaching carousel:
— James Madison fired Louis Rowe
— Loyola Marymount fired Mike Dunlap
— Wyoming fired Alan Edwards
— Air Force fired Dave Pilipovich
5) Chicago Cubs’ leadoff hitters had an on-base %age of only .294 LY, lowest in major leagues by 14 points. Cardinals were 2nd-lowest, at .308.
4) Weird scheduling thing: Padres-Rockies play 10 of their first 19 games against each other. By April 16, they will have met 10 times, then they don’t play again until June 19.
3) Last season in the NFL, road teams scored 5,828 points, home teams 5,822 points, the first time that happened since 1968.
2) The average NFL point spread last year was the home team favored by 1.5 points, the lowest such spread since 1976.
1) From 2016-19, the average NFL team spent $703M in payroll; the team that spend the least in payroll, from 2016-19? Dallas Cowboys, at $634.4M.