13) Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa declared for the NFL Draft; will be fascinating to see who takes a chance on him and his dislocated hip in the first round. NFL QB’s take a pounding, even in this softer day and age; can he withstand a 17-game season, because the NFL season will become 17 games in a couple years, and thats not counting the playoffs?
Nick Saban has had 29 players drafted in first round since coming to Alabama, but none of them were quarterbacks.
12) fanatics.com is already making/selling Cincinnati Bengal #9 jerseys with “Burrow” on the back, thats how confident they are that Cincy will draft the LSU quarterback.
11) Duke freshman Wendell Moore Jr. broke a bone in his right hand doing the Blue Devils’ 95-62 win over Boston College Saturday; he will miss “significant time”. Moore is averaging 7.4 ppg, 3.9 rebounds/game.
10) Dallas Cowboys hired Mike McCarthy as their new coach; McCarthy went 125-77-2 (.618) in 13 years with the Packers, going 10-8 in playoffs, with one Super Bowl title.
Former 49ers coach Mike Nolan will be the Cowboys’ DC.
9) Cowboys Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott, Amari Cooper are all carrying expiring contracts into the offseason; did that play into Jason Garrett being told to take a hike?
8) LA Rams will have a new defensive coordinator next year; 72-year old Wade Phillips didn’t have his contract renewed by the club. Ram defense had lot of injuries this year; Dallas/Ravens ran thru them, but otherwise they had a pretty good year.
Rams also parted ways with RB coach Skip Peete.
7) One more note on the Rams; they drafted Jared Goff in the first round of the 2016 draft; they haven’t made another 1st round pick since, and don’t have another 1st round pick until 2022.
6) Seattle-Philly Wild Card game late Sunday afternoon was the most viewed TV show in the country since LY’s Super Bowl.
5) Over last five years, #6 seeds are 7-3 ATS on NFL Wild Card weekend
4) Over last four years, #1 seeds are 6-2 ATS this coming weekend.
3) Washington Nationals signed 1B/OF Eric Thames a one-year, $4M deal.
2) I’ll be very curious when the XFL starts next month if it is any better than the AAF was; I’m assuming it’ll be better funded, but will the actual football be as good, or better?
1) Louisiana 27, Miami OH 17— This is a lower-tier bowl for sure, but it has to be an advantage in recruiting to have national TV all to yourself for two hours, yes? There wasn’t any college basketball on TV until 9:00; not really sure why.