13) Big NBA trade: Clippers dealt Blake Griffin to Detroit for Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Boban Marjanovic, a 1st-round and a 2nd-round pick. Detroit also gets Brice Johnson and Willie Reed in the deal.
Griffin is on a 5-year, $171M contract that doesn’t have a no-trade clause in it.
12) Griffin’s contract has $150M of guaranteed money in it; no NFL contract has more than $70M guaranteed.
11) There are murmurs that if UConn changes basketball coaches this spring, Bobby Hurley will be one of the names on their list. My question is this and I don’t know what the answer is:
Is UConn a better basketball job than Arizona State? I’m not sure it is.
Hurley is from New Jersey, so coming back east would be a plus for his family, but expectations are very high in the Nutmeg State. Is Hurley in waiting for the Duke job? Mike Krzyzewski is 70, so that job will be opening up in the not-too-distant future.
10) New England Patriots have played in seven Super Bowls under Bill Belichick; obviously, they’re 5-2 in those games, but they also didn’t score in first quarter in any of the seven games.
9) New England is going to have two new coordinators next season, which should be fun to watch.
8) I watch a lot of football, but rarely the Pro Bowl; not even sure why it exists. Of all the all-star games, basketball should be the best, but the players don’t try so I’m thinking baseball’s is.
7) Arkansas gave basketball coach Mike Anderson a 2-year contract extension thru 2022.
6) UNLV is 4-4 in the Mountain West; they’re 4-0 when PG Jordan Johnson takes less than 12 shots from the floor, 0-4 when he takes 12+ shots. Rebels are a better team when Johnson sets up his teammates up for shots. Other teams try to get him to shoot the ball more.
5) Wyoming Cowboys are 14-7, 5-3 in the Mountain West Conference; they’re 5-0 in overtime games this season, which doesn’t happen much.
4) Very expensive torn achilles for DeMarcus Cousins, who is a free agent this summer, along with Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul and Paul George.
3) Milwaukee Bucks’ interim coach Joe Prunty was Luke Walton’s high school coach in San Diego.
2) Watching NBA games over the weekend, it dawned on me the immense impact Stephen Curry is having on the game, in a positive way. Curry is so skilled, such a great shooter, and he wasn’t born that way- he’s had to work his butt off to become this great.
That sends a message to kids, that if they work on their skills, they can become great players, too. Size isn’t everything; smaller players can make a big impact, if they put the ball in the hoop.
Instead of practicing useless stuff or just playing an endless amount of meaningless pickup games, more kids are practicing shooting and it is paying off.
1) Phoenix Suns have made at least one 3-pointer in 1,109 consecutive games, an NBA record.