13) New Jersey governor Phil Murphy signed the sports betting bill. Sports betting begins at Monmouth Park at 10:30 am Thursday, the same day soccer’s World Cup starts.
12) NBA Summer League is next month in Las Vegas; 76ers still haven’t announced if last year’s #1 pick, Markelle Fultz, will play or not.
11) If you really like the NBA, I highly recommend going to the Summer League; for $30, you can sit inside in air conditioning all day (it will be 110 or so outside) and watch NBA games, and you might meet some famous people, since everyone pretty much goes in/out the same doors.
10) Detroit Pistons gave new coach Dwane Casey a 5-year contract.
9) If Shohei Ohtani needs Tommy John surgery, he won’t pitch again until 2020. Angels aren’t saying much yet.
No idea how it would affect him as a hitter if he has TJ surgery. Could he DH late next year if he has the surgery this summer?
8) Texas 4, Tennessee Tech 1— Longhorns are in College World Series for 36th time; no other school has been in the CWS more than 25 times.
7) In college baseball, six of eight Super Regionals series went the maximum three games, which is most ever. This is the 20th year of the Super Regional format.
6) In their last ten home games, Mets are 3 for 55 with runners in scoring position.
In their last four home games, Red Sox are 2 for 37 with RISP.
5) QB Hunter Johnson transfers from Clemson to Northwestern; he will sit out this season, then have three years left to play for the Wildcats.
4) NY-Penn League starts Friday night; the short season rookie league has a team over the river from here in Troy at Hudson Valley CC, where the Astros’ farm club the ValleyCats play home games.
If you’re in the Albany area and like affordable fun, the ValleyCat games are well worth it.
3) Giants’ 3B Evan Longoria made his 11th error last night in Miami; he had 12 errors all of last season, when he played more than half his games on artificial turf.
2) Speaking of artificial turf, lot of these college baseball teams have artificial turf fields. Wonder if that makes scouting infielders tougher?
1) Baseball can be a tough business; Ji-Man Choi hit a grand slam for the Brewers in a huge spot Saturday in Philly, was mobbed by his teammates in the dugout.
The next day? He got traded to Tampa Bay, for Brad Miller.