13) Whenever I see the commercials where the guy buys his wife a Lexus or a big truck for Christmas, I laugh at myself for the gifts I bought my ex-wife when we were married; guess I was a slacker, but then I think of this question:
Say you buy your wife a Lexus for Christmas this year; what do you buy her next year? Can’t be setting the bar too high, ya know?
12) If I was the school president or AD at a school in a big time football league, and my team was a 43-point underdog to a team in our same league, I’d be asking some tough questions about our coaching staff or our school’s commitment to the sport.
Then when our team lost that game 73-14, I’d be looking for a new bleeping coach.
11) Arkansas fired football coach Chad Morris after he lost 18 of his first 22 games, including a 45-19 loss to Western Kentucky Saturday, and they were favored in that game.
10) Seton Hall’s star G Myles Powell will be sidelined indefinitely with an ankle injury; he began the season as the Big East Preseason Player of the Year.
9) Indiana Hoosiers’ football team is ranked in the top 25 for the first time in 25 years.
8) University of Maine’s basketball team has 13 international players; LMU has seven. More and more, low/mid-majors are recruiting international kids.
7) NBA stuff:
— Toronto Raptors’ PG Kyle Lowry broke his thumb, is out for a couple weeks.
— Celtics’ F Gordon Hayward broke his left hand.
6) I’m curious how much cash Allstate ponies up to sponsor the nets behind the goal posts at the college football games. They’ve been doing it for long time now.
5) Pro golfer Eddie Pepperell was disqualified from the Turkish Airlines Open on Saturday when he ran out of golf balls; seriously.
Pepperell hit as many as five balls — his playing partners were unsure — into the water on the par-5 4th hole. He had putted with a wedge on the previous hole; sounds little bit like he wanted to get the hell out of Turkey.
4) USC 31, Arizona State 26— Trojans’ freshman QB Kevin Slovis threw for 432 yards and four TD’s in his homecoming game to the Phoenix area; 297 of those yards and all four TD’s came in the first quarter.
3) San Diego Padres are going back to brown/white uniforms next season, their original colors, and that is a good thing.
2) Seahawks 27, 49ers 24 OT:
— Unusually intense game, had the feel of a playoff game.
— Seahawks had two offensive TD drives; they were only 16-24 yards.
— This was first of four consecutive primetime games for Seattle.
— Each team had five sacks and scored a defensive TD.
— Teams combined for seven turnovers.
— 49ers missed a 47-yard FG in OT that would’ve won game.
1) Redskins named Dwayne Haskins starting QB for the rest of the season.