13) Michigan Wolverines are having spring football practice….in Italy? Jim Harbaugh is very creative, a little weird. This has to cost a lot of money. Does it help them?
12) Floyd Mayweather has a guy in his entourage who walks around with a doctor’s bag that is filled with a ton of cash, in case he wants to bet. Last Thursday, he wanted to bet.
Mayweather wagered $100,000 on Gonzaga (-8, -$115) in the first half of its game at Santa Clara. His winning wager netted him $86,956. Not bad work for an hour.
11) Interesting baseball trade: Dodgers send pitching prospect Jose DeLeon to Tampa Bay for versatile IF Logan Forsythe.
24-year old DeLeon was 2-0, 6.35 in four starts (17 IP) for LA last year. 30-year old Forsythe hit .264 with 20 HR’s LY- he’s played all four infield positions, but was strictly at 2B LY.
10) Andy Iskoe is a really smart guy, an excellent handicapper. He points out that since Super Bowl XXX, the team with the better regular season record is 1-14-1 vs spread in Super Bowls, the one cover being Tampa Bay in 2002 when Jon Gruden coached against his old team.
Underdogs won last five, and seven of last nine Super Bowls SU.
9) There are five ex-Browns, five ex-Redskins playing in this year’s Super Bowl.
8) Before this NFL season started, more people bet on Cleveland to win the Super Bowl than bet on the Falcons to win it. Gambling is difficult, but it isn’t that difficult.
7) For the first time ever, college football teams averaged over 30 pts/game (30.04) this year.
6) Northern Colorado University is located in Greeley, CO. Tom Norton is Greeley’s mayor; he has courtside seats at Northern Colorado’s hoop games- the coach is his neighbor.
Referees told Mayor Norton to take a hike Saturday when he came on the court to argue a call against his beloved Bears. The mayor later returned and sat in a different seat (further away from the court) as Northern Colorado lost 74-69 to Big Sky leader Weber State.
5) Back in 2005, when Nick Saban was coaching the Miami Dolphins, his defensive line coach was Dan Quinn, who will coach the Falcons in the Super Bowl next weekend.
4) There is a pro tennis player who wears a mouthpiece during matches, supposedly to help his balance. I’m not sure who came up with that idea, but if it helps, then it helps.
3) Chris Evert was saying that tennis players today are more isolated from each other now than they used to be; Evert told a story about she used to practice with rival Martina Navratilova and also have lunch with her before matches, which seems unusual.
Players today have so much more money, they have their own entourages and they hang out with them instead of other players.
The retractable roof at the Australian Open can be closed during a match if if rains, but once it is closed, it has to stay closed during the rest of that match.
2) NC State 84, Duke 82— Wolfpack lost by 51 in Chapel Hill, but they pulled the upset here as a 16-point underdog, rallying back from down 9 late in game. State had lost five of its last seven games coming in.
Last time the Wolfpack won in Durham was 1995, which is also the last time Coach Krzyzewski had back surgery.
1— Northwestern’s win at Ohio State Sunday was their first one since 1977, when the Wildcats’ coach was Tex Winter, who went on to be one of Phil Jackson’s assistants with the Chicago Bulls.