13) Miami Hurricanes will start redshirt freshman Jarren Williams at QB when they open their season against Florida next week, which means that Ohio State transfer Tate Martell may have transferred to the wrong school- he was expected to start.
Martell is from Las Vegas; if he transferred home now, he could sit out next year, then play for UNLV in 2021 and 2022.
12) Bryce Harper jumped from Washington to the Phillies this season, but as of August 12, here are the standings in the NL East:
They also traded for catcher JT Realmuto last winter. If the Phillies don’t make the playoffs, how does manager Gabe Kapler keep his job?
11) Dak Prescott turned down a $30M a year offer from the Cowboys. Word is he wants $40M a year, which I’m pretty sure ain’t going to happen, at least not this year.
Russell Wilson makes $35M a year, Carson Wentz makes $32M. Wilson has won a Super Bowl and Wentz hasn’t, nor has Prescott. Wonder if Prescott would take $32M a year?
10) Jets kicker Chandler Catanzaro missed two PAT’s Thursday, then retired Saturday before the Jets could tell him to take a hike. Catanzaro kicked for four teams the last five years; he will be replaced by Taylor Bertolet, who kicked for the Salt Lake Stallions in the ill-fated AAF.
9) Tampa Bay Buccaneers are 55-105 in the 10 years since Jon Gruden last coached there.
8) If you thought you had a bad day, thieves recently broke into Alex Rodriguez’ rented SUV and made off with $500,000 worth of electronics and jewelry in San Francisco— ARod was there to broadcast the Phillies-Giants game Sunday night.
7) Baseball stuff:
— Reds claimed SS Freddie Galvis off waivers from Toronto.
— Red Sox put IF Michael Chavis (shoulder) on IL.
6) The 2020 baseball schedule is out; the A’s open next season on March 26 at home against the Twins. There are going to be some cold fans around the country on March 26. Starting a season that early and finishing it in late September is a little odd.
5) Mets and Marlins will play a three-game series in San Juan, Puerto Rico on April 28-30.
4) Gleyber Torres has 26 home runs this year; 13 of them are against the Orioles.
3) Caddy Steve Williams worked six tournaments for golfer Jason Day, then got told to take a hike; Day finished above 40th in only two of the six tournaments.
2) Random beverage item: Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte returns to menus on August 27, it’s earliest-ever recorded official launch. Just thought you’d like to know.
1) We can put a man on the moon, but we can’t find a football helmet that Antonio Brown likes that is less than 10 years old?