13) Being involved in fantasy baseball and handicapping baseball teaches you patience; it is a very long season. There is a tendency to overreact to stuff that happens in the first week of the season, but as the cliche goes, it is a marathon, not a sprint.
12) Go through this every year; baseball players get hurt.
— Giancarlo Stanton (biceps strain) goes on the IL.
— 3B Miguel Andujar (labrum tear in shoulder) also went on the IL.
— Rays put 3B Joey Wendle (hamstring) on IL.
— Toronto put P Clayton Richard (knee) on IL.
11) Cardinals 6, Pirates 5 (11)— Chris Archer threw five shutout innings, bullpen blew a 4-0 lead. Archer threw 99 pitches in those five innings. Pirates wound up using eight relievers over the last six innings.
10) Orioles 6, Blue Jays 5— David Hess threw 6.1 hitless innings (82 pitches), then was taken out of the game. Toronto quickly scored two runs; Orioles hung on for dear life.
9) Braves 8, Cubs 0— Chicago made five errors in first five innings of this game; they’ve lost the last three days, giving up 26 runs. Rough start to the season.
8) Mets 7, Marlins 3— Pete Alonso hit his first major league homer, a 440-foot blast, in front of 6,489 fans, most of whom were rooting for the visitors from New York.
7) Belmont basketball coach Rick Byrd is retiring after coaching the Bruins for 33 years. Byrd won 805 games and made NCAA tournament eight times.
Belmont led the country in 2-point FG% in five of the last seven seasons.
6) If you bet on AAF games, some info thru eight weeks:
— Favorites are 22-10 SU, 16-16 vs spread
— Home teams are 18-14 SU, 16-16 vs spread.
— Under is 18-13-1.
5) Red Sox signed SS Xander Bogaerts to a 7-year, $132M contract extension.
4) There is a new minor league team this year, the Amarillo Sod Poodles, AA affiliate of the San Diego Padres. Minor league nicknames are getting weirder and weirder.
3) Phillies had four sellouts all of last year; after three home games this season, they’ve already had three sellouts. Curious to see what kind of reaction Bryce Harper gets in Washington when the Phillies play there tonight.
2) Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper has laid off one-third of its staff. 20 years ago, the paper had 340 journalists; now it’s down to 33.
1. Normal field for a PGA Tour event is 144 golfers, but The Masters has a different set of requirements. Right now, only 86 players have qualified for next week’s tournament, which would be the smallest field at Augusta since 1997.