13) John Beilein signed a 5-year deal to coach the Cleveland Cavaliers:
— Beilein is 66, so worst case scenario for him, he fattens his retirement fund.
— Beilein is one of 28 coaches in NCAA history (all divisions) with 750+ career wins (754-425); he will be the first of those 28 to coach in the NBA.
— Beilein’s last losing season was 2009-10 (15-17) at Michigan. He is a very good coach, but the NBA is more about players than coaches.
— This figures to set off a domino effect of other coaching changes.
— What %age of college coaches have the itch to try the NBA?
12) Kawhi Leonard took 39 of Toronto’s 89 shots in Game 7 Sunday; rest of the team was 18-50 (36%) from the floor, and they still won.
Don’t see lot of NBA games where one team used only two subs, the other one three subs. 76ers’ subs played total of only 27:00 Sunday.
11) Brett Brown will return as the 76ers’ coach next year; not even sure why this would be an issue, but apparently it was. Who could they hire that would be better?
10) Justin Thomas (wrist) withdrew from this week’s PGA Championship Monday.
9) Former Seattle Seahawks punter Jon Ryan is returning to his hometown of Regina, Saskatchewan to punt for the CFL’s Roughriders this summer.
8) PG recruit Boogie Ellis switched his commitment from Duke to Memphis, as Penny Hardaway establishes himself as one of the best recruiters in the country.
7) Baseball stuff:
— A’s activated Mark Canha, DFA’d 1B/DH Kendrys Morales
— Bronx put P Jonathan Loaisiga (shoulder), 3B Miguel Andujar on IL
— Detroit put P Tyson Ross on IL.
— White Sox P Carlos Rodon needs Tommy John surgery, is out for the year.
6) First-round matchups for the Paradise Jam tournament in November:
— Valparaiso-Grand Canyon
— Illinois State-Cincinnati
— Bowling Green-Western Kentucky
5) On Sept. 28, 1974, Nolan Ryan threw a no-hitter against the Twins, walking eight and striking out 15- he threw 158 pitches that night. Safe to say you won’t see that happen anytime in the next 10-20 years, at least.
4) David Letterman is going to be a guest on the Sunday Today show this week; he has this thick gray beard now and looks like he should be on Duck Dynasty instead of the Today Show.
3) College basketball transfer portal:
— Pitt grad transfer Malik Ellison bolts to Hartford.
2) St Louis 4, San Jose 2— Western Conference finals are tied 1-1.
1) Get well to former President Jimmy Carter, who had surgery for a broken hip today after he fell while leaving his house to go turkey hunting. Mr Carter is 94 years old.