13) Bad weekend to be a USC quarterback:
We said yesterday how USC Trojans QB JT Daniels tore his ACL and is done for the year. He will be replaced by true freshman Kedon Slovis.
South Carolina Gamecocks QB Jake Bentley broke his foot and is out for six weeks; his replacement will be true freshman Ryan Hilinski.
12) Slovis, Hilinski starting means that seven true freshmen are now starting QB’s out of 130 I-A football teams.
11) Indianapolis Colts gave QB Jacoby Brissett $30M for two years, and then signed Brian Hoyer as his backup, giving him $12M for three years.
10) In his last three years at UCLA, Dolphins’ QB Josh Rosen had three different offensive coordinators; last year, he had two OC’s in his one year with the Cardinals, and obviously has a new OC in Miami this year. Plus the Dolphins just traded their LT, which endangers the health of whomever plays QB for Miami this year.
Not a great start to Rosen’s career.
9) Early nominee for Bad Beat of the Year was Northwestern (+6.5) at Stanford. Game was 10-7 Stanford in the last minute when the Cardinal sacked Northwestern’s QB, he fumbled and they scored a defensive TD to cover the spread with 0:20 left to play.
8) Jets’ radio guy Bob Wischusen was working a college game on ESPN Saturday and was saying how he thinks Jim Brown and Lawrence Taylor were the two best football players ever. Armadillosports.com
Jim Brown played before my time, so I can’t comment on him; LT was a great linebacker whose pass rushing skills helped change the game, but if he did the same exact thing playing for the Chiefs or Bengals, instead of a NYC-area team, he’s not in the best player ever conversation.
7) In five starts from April 15-May 9, Cubs’ P Yu Darvish walked 22 batters in 22.2 IP.
In 14 starts since June 15, Darvish has walked 8 hitters, while striking out 102 in 80 IP.
6) Jacksonville Jaguars won’t practice Wednesday because of Hurricane Dorian.
5) Alabama is a 54-point favorite over New Mexico State Saturday; the total is 65; Crimson Tide opens SEC play next week when they play South Carolina, so the starter figure to get a good chunk of this game off. Then again, New Mexico State just lost 58-7 at Washington State, so probably a good game to stay away from.
4) Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the 20th QB to start for the Dolphins since Dan Marino retired.
3) Final AAA Home Run Totals:
2018 – 3,652
2019 – 5,749 (57.4% increase)
AAA games switched to major league baseballs this year.
2) Sports betting became legal in Indiana Sunday; governor of Indiana made a $10 wager on the Colts to open things up. Probably would’ve bet more if Andrew Luck hadn’t retired.
Wouldn’t it be fun if just once, a politician stepped out and dropped $1,000 on the home team with his ceremonial first bet? Have some onions, Governor!!!
1) Labor Day night and only two baseball games are on, with 8:00 the latest start time. Whats up with that?