13) If you like the NFL and you’re in Las Vegas, a Sunday afternoon in the theater at the Westgate Casino is something you have to do.
1,500 seats, all the games are on, there are betting windows in the back, a concession stand on the left, and it is surprisingly quiet— everyone has always been cool when I’ve been there.
12) Saints 43, Redskins 19— New Orleans’ first four drives Monday night: 30 plays, 276 yards, four TD’s, two missed PAT’s. Last of the four TD’s was a 62-yard pass that put Drew Brees on top of the all-time passing yardage list.
There was a brief ceremony after the record-setting play; Saints actually got penalized 15 yards for excessive celebration.
11) Oklahoma lost 48-45 to Texas Saturday, so of course a coach had to get fired; DC Mike Stoops was told to take a hike. Ruffin McNeill, former HC of East Carolina, will be the new DC, which ain’t going to help a damn thing. Recruit more good defensive players!!!!
10) Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa has thrown 18 TD passes this season, and only 25 incomplete passes. Bama’s backup QB has a 26-2 record as the starter.
9) Boston 16, New York 1— Brock Holt is the first baseball player ever to hit for the cycle in a playoff game; how weird is that?
David Price sucks in the postseason, and he doesn’t pitch well against New York; Red Sox still owe Price $127M over the next four seasons, but when you’re a fat-cat team, you can afford miscues like this, and just spend more money to overcome them.
9) AFC North is only division in NFL where all the team are .500 or better.
8) If you think your favorite team is screwed up, be thankful you don’t root for the Phoenix Suns, who fired GM Ryan McDonough Monday, eight days before the season starts.
Last year, the Suns fired coach Earl Watson AFTER THREE GAMES. Oy.
7) Looks weird seeing Lebron James wearing a Lakers’ jersey; Lakers-Warriors play here in Las Vegas tomorrow night at T-Mobile Center.
6) Spurs’ PG Dejounte Murray tore his ACL Sunday night; he was expected to be the Spurs’ PG this season, replacing the departed Tony Parker.
5) 49ers ran 92 plays in their loss to Arizona Sunday; Cardinals ran only 49, but when you’re minus-5 in turnovers, not else matters too much. Still, 92 plays is a hell of a lot for an NFL game.
4) You see Cleveland 12, Baltimore 9 and you think it was an ugly game, but yardage was actually 416-410, Browns, so both teams moved the ball well enough, they were just useless in the red zone, scoring 18 points on six drives.
3) Over $50M of the Buffalo Bills’ payroll this year is going to players who aren’t on the team.
2) FOX TV analyst Chris Spielman said Sunday that he considers Aaron Rodgers to be the best QB ever. Pretty strong statement.
1) According to the 2010 US Census, Los Angeles County has more people than these 12 states combined:
Alaska, Delaware, Hawai’i, Idaho
Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, North Dakota
Rhode Island, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wyoming