13) You don’t think pro football players are tough? Vikings’ long snapper Kevin McDermott lost the tip off of his left pinky Thursday, when it got caught in a player’s helmet. He didn’t just lose his fingernail, he lost the tip of his finger, and later on, he came back into the game, missing only one punt snap while they bandaged up the finger.
12) Bad beat from late Saturday night: USC was -3.5 over Arizona, and led 24-14 in the last 2:00. Wildcats had 4th-and-goal inside the 10-yard line, but instead of kicking the easy FG to make the game a one-score game, Kevin Sumlin goes for it and Arizona scores a TD with 1:40 left.
Now all they all have to do to cover the spread is make the extra poi— you got it, they missed, and USC won 24-20, covering by half a point.
11) UMass football coach Mark Whipple was suspended without pay for one week by the school, after he drew an analogy to rape while discussing a sequence in his team’s game.
On UMass’ radio broadcast after the Minutemen’s 58-42 loss at Ohio U, Whipple referred to a play on which he believed the Bobcats should have been called for pass interference, saying, “We had a chance there … and they rape us, and (the referee) picks up the flag.”
No bueno. Choose your words better, coach.
10) Billy McKinney is a 24-year old OF for the Blue Jays who was a first round pick of the Oakland A’s five years ago. Weird thing is, he’s already been traded three times:
— July 5, 2014, A’s traded him to the Cubs as part of the Jeff Samardzija/Addison Russell swap.
— July 25, 2016, Cubs traded him to New York as part of the Aroldis Chapman trade.
— July 26, 2018, New York traded him to Toronto as part of the JA Happ swap.
9) After a 56-27 loss to Notre Dame last week, Wake Forest fired defensive coordinator Jay Sawvel; their defense scored two TD’s Saturday in a 56-24 win over Rice. Obviously Rice isn’t close to being as good as Notre Dame, but did the coaching change make a difference?
8) With Sam Bradford the #3 QB in Arizona now, he loses an active roster bonus of $312,500 per game, not that he is hurting for money. Bradford banked $65M in the five years he played for the Rams, so he should be OK financially.
7) The grandfather of Rams’ WR Cooper Kupp was an offensive lineman in the NFL for 11 years; he played for the Saints in their early days, where he blocked for Archie Manning.
6) NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes will wear Hartford Whaler throwback uniforms for their December 23 home game; very cool green uniforms with the great Whaler logo. Hurricanes were the Hartford Whalers from 1972-97, before moving from Hartford to Raleigh.
5) Tony Parker looks weird in a Charlotte Hornets’ uniform; he played 17 years for the Spurs. Some things you just get used to.
4) There is a US Senator from Rhode Island named Sheldon Whitehouse; if you’re a politician and your last name is Whitehouse, don’t you have to run for President?
3) Brewers 3, Cubs 1……….Dodgers 5, Rockies 2
Colorado visits Wrigley Field tonight in the NL Wild Card game.
2) Last week, a psychology professor at the University of Toronto started showing a presentation to his class of 500 students, but instead of his presentation showing on the screen, a hard core porn movie appeared. Whoops.
1) Last three games the Pittsburgh Steelers played at home, they allowed 37.7 ppg. Atlanta is coming to Steel City this coming Sunday; Falcons’ defense is a mess, too.