13) Angels played in Seattle Sunday afternoon, played a makeup game in Wrigley Field on Monday, and host the A’s in Anaheim tonight; that is 3,462 miles in three days, the 3rd-most miles any MLB team has travelled in a 3-day period.
12) As of Monday afternoon, there were 806 players in the college basketball transfer portal; with 353 D-I hoop teams, that works out to 2.28 players per team.. Thats a lot.
178 of the transfers are grad transfers, who are immediately eligible.
11) Michigan coach Juwan Howard did a very smart thing Monday and hired former longtime St Joe’s head coach Phil Martelli as an assistant. Guys who are new head coaches need an experienced voice to help them avoid some of the pitfalls of their job.
10) When you watch and read about the baseball draft, keep in mind that Mike Trout was the 25th pick in the 2009 MLB Draft. Scouting/drafting is an inexact science.
9) On May 1st, Minnesota Twins were 20-1 to win the World Series; 33 days later, they’re down to 13-2 to win the Series.
8) Sports betting legislation passed in Illinois this week; meanwhile here in New York, we have crickets……nothing happening. NFL training camps start next month.
7) Orioles took Oregon State C Adley Rutschman with the first pick of the MLB Draft, the first catcher taken first since Buster Posey in 2001.
Royals took SS Bobby Witt Jr with the #2 pick; his dad Bobby Witt pitched in the major leagues for 16 seasons.
6) Breakdown of DT Gerald McCoy’s deal with the Carolina Panthers:
— 1 year, $4M to sign.
— $3M base salary
— $500K camp roster bonus.
— $500K in 45-man per game bonus
— 6.5 sacks for $500k.
— 8 sacks gets him $1.5M.
— $250K for Pro Bowl.
— $250K for playoffs.
— $4M guaranteed.
Worth noting that Carolina/Tampa Bay (McCoy’s old team) are division rivals.
5) Friday, a bettor in Sparks, NV played a $5, 10-team parlay and hit it for $3,605; four of the ten wagers were underdogs. Pretty impressive.
4) Cubs 6, Angels 1— In his first game as a Cub, Carlos Gonzalez made a great diving catch in top of 7th inning to rob Jonathan Lucroy of a bases loaded double.
3) Milwaukee Brewers activated Travis Shaw from the IL and demoted rookie 2B Keston Huira, despite Huira hitting five home runs and having an .865 OPS in only 17 games. Milwaukee also DFA’d 1B Jesus Aguilar.
2) This was the first baseball draft ever where none of the first six picks were pitchers.
1) Excellent news: Mets broadcaster Ron Darling will be back in the booth tonight for the Mets-Giants game; Darling has been battling thyroid cancer the last few months but has been cleared to return to work. He is a friendly voice in the booth; great to have him back.