13) LSU 42, Clemson 25:
— Joe Burrow was the 3rd-string QB at Ohio State, then transferred.
— I was 100% wrong when I criticized LSU for hiring Ed Orgeron as head coach.
— Clemson QB Lawrence is 70-2 in his last 72 football games, going back to high school.
12) LSU gained 269 yards…….in the second quarter. One of the greatest offenses in college football history.
11) In a classic news dump that is designed to have this news buried in the headlines by the football game, MLB suspended the Astros’ GM and manager for a full year because of the sign-stealing scandal. Big news, at least for a little while.
Shortly after that announcement, Astros owner Jim Crane held a news conference and went one better, firing the two guys and clearing the way for his organization to be rebuilt.
10) This whole thing would’ve been a whole lot more awkward had the Astros won the World Series last year, which would’ve given them two World Series titles in three years.
9) Astros also lost 1st/2nd round draft picks in both 2020 and 2021, and were fined $5M.
8) For me, there are two good aspects of the Astros’ problems here:
a) Astros figure to regress some, which helps the A’s.
b) Bronx baseball fans have been whining about this for weeks now; here is a team that has had every economic advantage in the sport for the last 45 years, crying like babies because another team skirted the rules to beat them. Too bleeping bad.
7) I saw this on Twitter and it is weird:
79 minus (your age) plus 40 equals the year you were born.
Worked for me.
6) NC-Wilmington fired basketball coach CB McGrath Monday; Seahawks have lost their last 11 games, were 26-58 under McGrath, after they went 72-28 under Kevin Keatts, who is now the coach at NC State.
5) New Mexico Lobos threw their best big man off the team Monday; Carlton Bragg was averaging 12.6 ppg and 10.3 rpg, but off-court issues became too much. Bragg had gone to both Kansas, Arizona State before landing in Albuquerque.
4) Patrick Mahomes is the first player ever to have a playoff game with 300+ passing yards, 5+ TDs, and 50+ rushing yards.
3) Good news; the great Showtime series Billions returns for season #5 on May 3rd.
2) #6-seeds in NFL conference championship games (all on road):
— 2005: Steelers (+3) W34-17 @ Denver
— 2008: Eagles (+3.5) L25-32 @ Arizona
— 2008: Ravens (+6) L14-23 @ Pittsburgh
— 2010: Packers (-3.5) W21-14 @ Chicago
— 2010: Jets (+4) L19-24 at Pittsburgh
— 2019: Titans (+7.5) @ Kansas City
1) I don’t give a rat’s ass about the royal family, unless they’re talking about some relative of Whit Merrifield.