13) Rays 11, Red Sox 10 (10)
— Boston led 7-1 after two innings.
— Austin Meadows tied game with an inside/park homer in 9th inning, first time that happened in major leagues since 2008 (Mark Teahen).
— Red Sox have 11 guys on the COVID list; because of that, they’re basically only MLB team working with a 40-man roster right now- they added SS Jose Iglesias, recently dropped by the Angels.
12) Ole Miss 43, Louisville 24:
— When the Louisville coach publicly criticizes his QB to a reporter at halftime, it isn’t good.
— ABC TV crew spent lot of 4th quarter talking about their dogs; this was a bad game.
Terrible job by MLB, by the way; only two major league games on Labor Day night?
11) This weekend, an average of 52.3 ppg were scored in I-A college football games, the lowest total for Labor Day weekend since 2009.
10) Giants 10, Rockies 5:
— Giants over/under win total this spring was 75.5; they’re 88-50 after this game.
9) Nationals 4, Mets 3:
— Washington scored twice in 9th for an unlikely win.
— 10 of Mets’ last 11 games were decided by one run.
8) An ex-Patriots player was quoted Monday as saying that rookie QB Mac Jones was tutoring Cam Newton on learning New England’s offense this summer, which may help explain why Newton is no longer on the Patriots.
7) Houston Texans named Tyrod Taylor (24-21-1 as an NFL starter) as their #1 QB for their game with Jacksonville Sunday. Deshaun Watson will be on the roster, but isn’t expected to be active; rookie Davis Mills is supposed to be Houston’s #2 QB.
6) Bad news for the Minnesota Gophers; star RB Mo Ibrahim will miss the rest of the season because of a leg injury he suffered against Ohio State. Ibrahim rushed 30 times for 163 yards before the injury.
5) Mentioned yesterday that UConn football coach Randy Edsall announced he’ll retire after the season; the school overruled him Monday— Edsall is gone immediately, after Huskies started the season 0-2, with a horrible loss to Holy Cross.
4) Over last seven weeks, St Louis Cardinals are 2-10 in games where the winning run scored in last three innings. Despite, St Louis is only 3.5 games out of the second Wild Card spot.
3) Royals’ 3B Hanser Alberto has batted 221 times this year; he’s walked TWICE. Twice. He walked five times in 224 PA’s last year. Not good.
2) Not only did I-AA Montana upset Washington Saturday, the Griz took home a $650,000 guarantee check for their trip to Washington.
1) Wild Card races:
NL: Los Angeles, San Diego
— Reds are a game behind San Diego, Phillies two games behind.
— Cardinals are 3.5 games behind, Mets 4.5 games.
AL: New York, Boston
— Toronto, Seattle are 3 games behind
— A’s are 3.5 games behind