13) Florida State 78, Louisville 65:
— How the bleep is Florida State not in the top 25?
— Seminoles never trailed, led 40-16 at one point.
12) Baylor 78, Kansas 69:
— 13-0 Baylor has six top 100 wins.
— Bears are #4 in country shooting 3’s, #3 at forcing turnovers.
11) Warriors 115, Lakers 113:
— Golden State was down 19 in first quarter, 17 in third quarter.
— Warriors’ subs were a combined +43 in this game.
10) Nets 125, Bucks 123:
— This looked a lot like a preview of Eastern Conference finals.
— Harden had 34 points, 12 assists in his 2nd game for Brooklyn.
9) Portland star CJ McCollum (broken foot) is out for several weeks; he is scoring 26.7 ppg this year.
8) Tennessee fired football coach Jeremy Pruitt Monday; AD Philip Fulmer was also told to take a hike— oh wait, he “retired” Uh-huh.
Pruitt was 16-19 overall at Tennessee, 10-16 in the SEC- Vols lost seven of their last eight games this season. There are stories that Pruitt got fired after an investigation into potential recruiting violations within the program— he really got fired for being 3-7 last year.
Everyone cheats at that level of college recruiting; if you don’t cheat, you finish last. If you cheat and you still finish last (or close to it), then you get fired.
Two ways to keep your SEC coaching job:
— Don’t go 3-7.
— Don’t get caught cheating after going 3-7.
7) Oy. New York Mets were having such a good winter, with a new owner and all, “were having” being the operative phrase there.
Turns out that recently hired GM Jared Porter sent explicit, unsolicited photos to a female reporter in 2016, when he was working for the Cubs. This isn’t a good thing.
The woman was a foreign correspondent who had moved to this country to cover baseball; she has left journalism since then, and hadn’t commented publicly until now, because Porter was a nobody until now.
She has a limited grasp of the English language, but an interesting grasp of timing; might be difficult for the guy to keep the best job he was ever going to get.
6) Porter and the Mets pulled off a 3-way trade Monday:
— Mets get lefty P Joey Lucchesi
— Padres get P Joe Musgrove
— Pirates get a boatload of prospects, one of whom is expected to be Hudson Head, an OF a lot of scouts think highly of.
5) When the president of the United States leaves office, he gets a pension of $210,700 a year for the rest of his life.
Jimmy Carter was a president who is actually a decent person; he has written 14 books since he left office, as well as helping Habitat for Humanity build homes for people who need them.
4) St John’s 74, UConn 70:
— UConn led this game 21-7 early.
— Red Storm are still only 3-6 in Big East, and UConn’s best player didn’t play, but its an important win for their program.
3) Other baseball stuff:
— Washington Nationals signed P Jon Lester for one year for undisclosed money.
— Los Angeles Angels signed C Kurt Suzuki for one year, $1.5M.
2) From the Elias Sports Bureau: New Orleans Saints are first NFL team ever to win 49+ regular-season games in four-year span without reaching the Super Bowl during that time.
1) This is the first week since December, 1982 that neither Duke/North Carolina is in the college basketball top 25.