13) Seahawks 23, Eagles 17
— Seahawks won field position by 13 yards, sacked Wentz six times.
— Seattle won last seven series games, holding Eagles to 12.6 ppg.
— Seahawks won last seven visits here; their last loss in Philly was in 1989.
— Eagles’ first 5 drives: 15 plays, minus-1 yard, zero first downs.
— Down 20-9 with 2:14 left, Eagles went for it on 4th-and-4, eschewing a 42-yard FG; it didn’t go well.
— Philly is 1-5-1 SU outside their division.
— Eagles are 3-0 if they allow 21 or fewer points, 0-7-1 if they allow more than 21.
12) NFL pushed Ravens-Steelers game back to Wednesday at 3:40 in the afternoon, so maybe Baltimore can get in some practicing Tuesday. This also means Sunday’s Washington-Pittsburgh game will be moved back in the schedule.
Game is in the afternoon because NBC is showing the Christmas tree lighting in Rockefeller Center Wednesday night- that’s a lucrative gig they didn’t want to give up. What TV wants, TV gets.
11) 49ers are moving to Arizona for a few weeks, because of Santa Clara County’s ban on contact sports. 49ers will host Buffalo/Washington in the Cardinals’ stadium in Glendale.
10) Bad news for the Indiana Hoosiers; QB Michael Penix Jr is done for the year with a torn ACL. Indiana is having an excellent season; this puts a major damper on it.
9) Jacksonville Jaguars won their opener, haven’t won since; they fired GM Dave Caldwell Sunday, but kept coach Doug Marrone, at least until they have a new GM.
8) Last NFL team to shut out a divisional rival twice in same year? 2002 Falcons blanked Carolina 20-0/41-0.
7) One of the bad beats of last week was Pepperdine (+7) at UCLA. Visiting Waves were up 7 at the half, but wound up losing 107-98, in triple OT. The right side doesn’t always win the bet.
6) This season, there are 17 Division I basketball coaches who are coaching their son(s)
5) Texas 78, Davidson 76— They’re playing the Maui Classic this week in Asheville, NC; this was a good ballgame. Longhorns shot 68% inside arc, Davidson 78%. Game was 43-all at the half; Wildcats had couple of shots to tie/take lead at the end, but Texas prevailed and plays Indiana in the semifinal Tuesday.
4) Thru Sunday, these basketball conferences were doing well ATS:
7-3 ATS: MAC, Mountain West
3) Thru Sunday, these basketball conferences were doing poorly ATS:
2-4: Big West
2) Houston Texans WR Will Fuller has been suspended six games for violating the NFL’s performance enhancing drug policy.
1) Last year, Mississippi State beat Ole Miss 21-20 in the Egg Bowl rivalry game; Rebels scored a TD with 0:04 left, but missed a longer PAT after the Ole Miss player who scored the TD got an excessive celebration penalty for miming a dog peeing in the end zone. Not good.
After the game, both teams fired their head coach; those firings ended up impacting the jobs of nearly 300 coaches or staffers throughout the country, in a remarkable chain reaction.
52 I-A schools lost or hired a coach or off-field staffer as a result of the post-Egg Bowl shakeups. I-AA, Division II, D-III, junior college, high school and even six NFL staffs were affected.