13) From the sound of things, 2022 will be the last year that DirecTV has the NFL Sunday Ticket, which means that this will probably be the last year I have DirecTV. Apple or Amazon are the favorites to land the Sunday Ticket in 2023.
If any of you have any insights on the best way to go forward as far as watching TV goes, I’d appreciate hearing from you. Seem to be lot more options than there used to be.
12) Tampa Bay 17, Pittsburgh 3:
— Total yards: Tampa Bay 244, Pittsburgh 186
— Maulers were in red zone three times, scored 3 points. No bueno.
— Pittsburgh completed two passes in the first half; their offense needs lot of work.
11) If you remember the movie Invincible, Mark Wahlberg played Vince Papale, a 30-year old bartender who tried out (and made the squad) for the Eagles in 1976. True story, good movie; now Papale’s son is a WR for the Tampa Bay Bandits; he caught three passes for 23 yards in Monday’s game.
10) Guy who kicked for the Birmingham Stallions Saturday, it was the first football game he ever played in. He played soccer all thru college, but now he is a pro football player.
9) 76ers 112, Raptors 97:
— Philly was up 15 at halftime.
— Embiid had 31 points, 11 rebounds.
— Philly leads series, 2-0
8) Mavericks 110, Jazz 104:
— Brunson scored 41 points, win without injured Doncic.
— Utah’s four subs were a combined +35.
— series is tied at a game apiece.
7) Warriors 126, Nuggets 106:
— Warriors outscored Denver 44-30 in third quarter.
— Curry scored 34 points in 23:00; Poole added 29.
— Golden State leads this series, 2-0.
6) Guard Keeshawn Bathelemy played ball at Colorado the last two years; he started 28 of the Buffs’ 33 games this season, but he transferred to Pac-12 rival Oregon this week.
Not too often kids transfer within a conference; Bathelemy is from Montreal, scored 8.6 ppg this past season.
5) Miami Heat G Duncan Robinson is in his 4th NBA season; he is a career 40.6% shooter on the arc; if you’re GREAT at something, you can play in the NBA and Robinson is a great shooter.
This is a young man who went to a prep school in New Hampshire, then played D-III basketball for a year at Williams College, before transferring to Michigan with a full scholarship, which rarely happens. Not many D-III basketball players make it to the NBA.
4) Celtics’ G Marcus Smart won NBA’s Defensive Player of the Year award, first guard to do that since Gary Payton in 1996.
3) First three starts for San Diego’s Yu Darvish:
April 7— Six perfect innings at Arizona (92 PT)
April 12— gave up 9 runs in 1.2 IP (57 PT) at San Francisco
April 17— gave up one run in 6.2 IP (96 PT) to Atlanta.
Handicapping ain’t easy.
2) Dodgers’ OF Mookie Betts is also a really good bowler; apparently he owns 40 bowling balls, and he switches back and forth, depending upon lane conditions.
1) Thru their first nine games, Diamondbacks have 42 hits, drawn 46 walks; it is the furthest any team has ever gone into a season, with more walks than hits.