13) So far in college football this season:
— Home favorites are 58-67-3 ATS
— Home underdogs are 54-45 ATS
— Overall, underdogs are 121-103-3 ATS (54.0%)
12) If you wagered on the underdog in all of Arizona State’s games since Herm Edwards became their coach, you’d have won 18 of 25 wagers— 72%, not too shabby.
— ASU is 3-9 ATS as a favorite under Edwards.
— ASU is 9-4 ATS as an underdog under Edwards.
11) Was fun to watch Pac-12 football late at night Saturday; Washington State-Oregon State game ended at 2:20am, here in the east. Not so sure the 9am Arizona State-USC game in LA was such a brilliant idea, but that’s a decision made above my salary grade.
10) San Diego State RB Greg Bell is a transfer from Nebraska; after he transferred to the Aztecs last year, he juggled school, football and a part-time job working in a warehouse for Amazon, for almost an entire year. He has definitely earned his new scholarship this fall, running ball for 377 yards (5.7 yards/carry).
9) QB Garrett Gilbert made his first NFL start for Dallas Sunday; his father is Gale Gilbert, who played for three NFL teams in six seasons as a pro.
Gale Gilbert is also the answer to a trivia question; he was the winning QB in the famous Stanford Band game in 1982, when Cal ran a kickoff back thru the Stanford band on the last play of the game, beating their rivals and depriving John Elway of playing in his first bowl game.
8) Utah State fired football coach Gary Anderson after an 0-3 start; Aggies have been outscored 114-29 so far this season.
7) Quarterbacks with 4+ games of 300+ passing yards in their first seven NFL starts:
1999— Kurt Warner
2018— Patrick Mahomes
2020— Joe Burrow
2020— Justin Herbert
6) Next two nights, MAC football fills the entertainment void with three games each, on Tuesday/Wednesday night. Lot of good TV exposure for these teams.
5) Toronto Blue Jays signed lefty P Robbie Ray to an $8M deal, plus incentives.
4) TV/movie trivia: actress Mariska Hargitay, who has played Olivia Benson in the Law & Order SVU series for over 20 years, is the daughter of the famous actress Jayne Mansfield, one of the leading sex symbols in movies of the ‘50s/‘60s. Ms Mansfield passed away in a 1967 car crash, with all three of her children in the back seat.
3) Weird schedule in the NFL this weekend; only five 1:00 games, six 4:00 games.
2) NFL home underdogs in divisional games are 12-2 ATS so far this season.
1) New England 30, Jets 27
— New England outscored Jets 13-0 over final 6:04 to snap their 3-game losing skid.
— Patriots ran 76 plays, compared to 44 for the Jets.
— New England won last nine series games, last four by a combined score of 131-44.
— Patriots won their last five visits to Swamp Stadium.
— Winless Jets are 2-7 ATS, losing home games by 18-9-20-8-3 points.
— Jets have been outscored 49-7 in 2nd half of their last four games.
— Jets are 12-8-2 ATS in last 21 games as a home underdog, 2-2 TY.
— Patriots ran 36 plays in 4th quarter; Jets ran only four.