13) Washington 17, Seattle 15:
— Seahawks scored TD with 0:15 left, but 2-point play failed.
— DK Metcalf caught only one pass for 13 yards.
— Seattle is 3-1 if it scores 28+ points, 0-7 if it doesn’t.
— Six of Seahawks’ last seven games stayed under the total.
— Washington is 3-0 since its bye, scoring 24.3 ppg.
— Washington is 8-4-1 in last 13 games with spread of 3 or less.
— Washington is 13-7 ATS last 20 games coming off a win.
— Five of last six Washington games stayed under the total.
12) Max Scherzer signed a 3-year, $130M deal with the Mets Monday, as billionaire owner Steve Cohen opens his wallet to improve his ballclub. Mets have spent $258M or so on free agents in the last four days.
11) Texas Rangers are also spending a lot of money; they gave 2B Marcus Semien $175M Sunday, then gave SS Corey Seager a 10-year, $325M deal Monday.
Part of reason playing in Texas appeals to free agents is the tax status there; Rangers play 81 home games, nine in Houston, nine in Seattle and three in Tampa, all states with zero tax status for athletes. That’s 102 games, nearly two-thirds with zero tax status. It matters.
10) If I’m a free agent pitcher, I’d want to know if the universal DH is going to be a thing, before I picked my next employer. Hopefully the universal DH will become official this winter.
Seattle Mariners signed P Robbie Ray to a 5-year, $115M deal Monday.
9) Oklahoma Sooners had a rough few days:
— Football coach Lincoln Riley jumped to USC
— Backup QB Spencer Rattler entered the transfer portal
— A hotshot high school QB who committed to Oklahoma de-commited. Wonder where he is going to wind up (USC?)
8) Minnesota 100, Indiana 98– Domantas Sabonis had 16 points, 25 rebounds, 10 assists for the Pacers; he is the first NBA player with 25 rebounds and 10 assists in a game since Maurice Lucas in 1980.
7) When Michigan plays Iowa this weekend in the Big 14 title game, it’ll be the first time the Wolverines have played in the championship game. Was surprised when I heard that. Hell, Northwestern’s even played in two of them.
Big 14 started playing a league championship game in 2011.
6) Random stat: over the last three football seasons, Big 14 teams are 17-4 ATS when playing teams from the MAC. There were no meetings in 2020 because of COVID, so that is 17-4 over two seasons.
5) Drew Brees is keeping busy since he retired from the NFL; he works for NBC, has an endorsement deal with Lowe’s, has stock in an online betting company, and now has a deal where he reads Bible verses on pray.com
Interesting contrast; not lot of people get paid for reading the Bible while also endorsing sports betting.
4) One of the funnier parts of NFL games is when an official throws a flag for pass interference, then one or two other refs throw a flag too, selling the call to make it look like an obvious foul.
3) Dallas Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy tested positive for COVID, will miss Thursday night’s game in New Orleans.
2) Florida Gators hired U of Louisiana coach Billy Napier to be its next football coach; Napier is 39-12 coaching the Ragin’ Cajuns- he will coach them in the Sun Belt title game this week, then is off to Gainesville.
1) LSU hired football coach Brian Kelly away from Notre Dame; Kelly was 113-40 in South Bend— he won more games there than Knute Rockne. Notre Dame made the national playoff two of last three years- they’re 11-1 this year, ranked 6th in country.