13) When Kansas Jayhawks upset Texas Saturday, they ended a 56-game losing streak in Big X conference road games- that’s 13 years worth of losing.
12) Mississippi State football coach Mike Leach made a comment two weeks ago about their being open tryouts for kickers at Miss State “Just show up at the building, and if you’re cleared by the NCAA, you can try out”
People thought Leach was being sarcastic, but apparently 40 kids are trying out this week.
11) These days, when football coaches make unusual strategic moves, they just blurt out “analytics” expecting/hoping that everyone will just shut up.
Last weekend, college team was down 15 late in game; they score a TD and go for two, and the TV analyst says “Analytics say…..” Poppycock!!!
You kick the PAT there, to get the lead to 8 and keep the game alive, When they failed on the 2-point play, the game was over. Down 8, you still had a (small) chance to win the game.
10) Detroit Tigers signed lefty P Eduardo Rodriguez to a 5-year deal worth $77M; Rodriguez was 13-8, 4.74 in 31 starts for the Red Sox last year, after not pitching in 2020.
9) Boston 98, Cleveland 92— Despite this score, surprising Cavaliers have won six of their last eight games SU, are 10-2-1 ATS in last 13 games.
8) When doing basketball stats, still think an assist on a 3-point shot should count as 1.5 assists, and passes that lead to made foul shots should also get assist credit.
7) College basketball scores of note:
— Kansas City 80, Missouri 66
— Marquette 67, Illinois 66
— Providence 63, Wisconsin 58
— Tulsa 64, Oregon State 58
— UMass 81, Penn State 56
— Belmont 95, Furman 89, OT
6) Oregon State’s football team is bowl eligible for first time since 2013; Jonathan Smith has done a good job rebuilding the Beavers.
5) College football coaching carousel:
— Washington fired Jimmy Lake
— Florida International fired Butch Davis
— Miami Hurricanes fired their AD.
4) Michigan Wolverines under Jim Harbaugh:
— 41-9 in September/October
— 17-14 in November-January
3) One last note on Felix Unger Day, which was Saturday; Felix’s birthday was November 13 because that was Garry Marshall’s birthday, the man who developed The Odd Couple into such a popular TV show.
2) Lakers/Clippers both had home games at Staples Center Sunday, one in afternoon, the other at night. I always wonder: How many people went to both games? Would be fun to know.
1) 49ers 31, Rams 10:
— 49ers’ 1st drive: 18 plays, 93 yards, TD
— 49ers’ 2nd drive: 11 plays, 91 yards, TD
— 49ers converted 8-14 on 3rd down, Rams 3-10.
— 49ers have beaten the Rams five times in a row.