13) Cleveland Browns haven’t made the NFL playoffs since 2002; they’re -$120 to make the playoffs this season, with a rookie head coach and a 2nd-year QB. That would take a pretty big leap of faith on my part, to wager on the Browns to make the 2019 playoffs.
12) Rookie QB Dwayne Haskins will wear number 7 with the Redskins, the first person to do that since Joe Theismann retired 34 years ago.
11) Royals swept a doubleheader from Tampa Bay Wednesday, 3-2/8-2; Whit Merrrifield led off bottom of the 1st inning in both games with a double. He is the first player in major leagues to do this since Scott Podsednik, in 2005 for the White Sox.
10) Part of why the Miami Marlins are terrible:
— Chris Paddack was traded for Fernando Rodney
— Domingo Germán was traded for Martin Prado
— Luis Castillo was traded for Dan Straily
They traded three really good young pitchers for older, marginal players. Then they traded Yelich, Ozuna, Stanton and didn’t get much of a return for them. Astoundingly inept.
9) Morning line favorite Omaha Beach has been scratched from the Kentucky Derby with a trapped epiglottis, which apparently is a breathing problem. Game Winner (4-1) now appears to the favorite for Saturday’s race.
8) Chicago Bears hired Brad Childress as senior offensive assistant, which helps explain why he quit as head coach of the AAF team in Atlanta, which turned out to be a good move by him, since the league folded before their first season ended.
7) Baseball injuries:
— Mets put P Jeurys Familia (shoulder) on the IL.
— Indians will put P Corey Kluber (forearm) on IL.
6) Game 2 of Rockets-Warriors was Tuesday, Game 3 isn’t till Saturday; chance for coaches to make whatever adjustments need to be made. Chance for James Harden’s eye to heal, and for Steph Curry’s left hand to feel a little better- he dislocated a finger in Tuesday’s game.
5) ESPN the Magazine is shutting down this fall; they tried very hard to be different, and they were different, but in a bad way. Too many articles on stuff not many people care about.
4) College basketball transfer portal:
— Former Vandy/Notre Dame F Matt Ryan is transferring to Chattanooga. He is a career 36.5% shooter on the arc who shot only 32.8% for Vandy LY.
— Georgia poaches grad transfer Donnell Gresham from Northeastern.
3) San Diego Padres finished April with a 17-13 record, first time since 2010 that they finished the first month of the season with a winning record.
2) Indians’ ace Corey Kluber got hit by a line drive last night, broke his right forearm and is out for a long time, a huge blow to Cleveland’s chances this season.
1) This from Ryan Spaeder:
In 2005, Braves’ C Brian McCann hit a sac fly against Paul Quantrill; Dave Roberts (now the Dodgers’ manager) caught the fly ball for San Diego.
Tuesday night, 5,001 days later, McCann flew out against Cal Quantrill, Paul’s son. also against the Padres.