13) Can’t be lot of fun for these major league managers of losing teams when they face the media day after day when they’re losing most of their games. Watching Mickey Callaway of the Mets, who is a rookie manager— you try to stay as positive as possible in your press conferences, but losing sucks- Mets have scored two runs in their last 42 innings.
12) NBA teams that fall behind 2-0 in playoff series have won only 20 of those 301 series.
Lebron James’ teams have fallen behind 2-0 in seven series, but won three of them.
11) List of pitchers who struck out the side on nine pitches more than once in their career: Lefty Grove, Sandy Koufax, Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Max Scherzer.
Scherzer is obviously still active; the other four are all in the Hall of Fame.
10) During OTA’s this week, new Chicago Bears’ coach Matt Nagy showed his team the JR Smith brain cramp from Game 1 of the NBA Finals as a teaching moment for the importance of proper clock management.
9) Sounds like Michigan basketball coach John Beilein netted himself roughly a $500K annual raise from the Wolverines after his flirtation with the NBA’s Detroit Pistons.
8) On the first day of legal sports betting in Delaware, $322,135 was wagered. The governor of Delaware made the first bet, putting $10 on the Phillies (+$190) to win, and they did win.
7) US Open golf tournament is next week on Long Island; Eldrick Woods will be staying on his 155-foot, $20 million yacht that is docked at the Montauk Yacht Club. Shinnecock CC where the Open will be held is in the town of Southampton, about an hour from the yacht club.
6) With the US Open next week, there are only nine players out of the world’s top 50 in the Memphis Open this week,
5) In 46 career games vs Texas, A’s OF Khris Davis has 47 RBI.
4) JD Martinez hit his 20th home run Tuesday; last year, the first Boston player to reach 20 home runs did so on August 29.
3) Cardinals pitching prospect Alex Reyes will miss the rest of the season after undergoing surgery to re-attach a tendon in his lat.
Angels’ SS Andrelton Simmons goes on the DL with an ankle injury.
Diamondbacks acquired OF Jon Jay from the Royals in exchange for pitchers Gabe Speier, Elvis Luciano.
2) John Calipari’s in-laws have been married for 65 years. Wow, good for them.
1) Reds lost 9-6 Tuesday, despite getting 17 hits; it was the first time they got 17 hits in a 9-inning game and lost since September, 1984 against San Diego.