13) Sunday afternoon at Westwood Country Club in the St Louis area; 7th hole, 123 yards; two guys in the same foursome both got hole-in-1’s.
The odds of two guys in the same foursome getting an ace on the same hole are said to be 17,000,000-1. Pretty cool, but which guy had honors on the next hole?
12) Interesting article on Yahoo Sports about the Miami Dolphins’ scouts and how they went about their duties leading up to last week’s draft.
Over the course of last football season and leading up to the draft, Miami’s 10-man scouting staff graded 1,504 players, wrote 3,690 reports and visited 256 colleges.
11) ESPN said that Kyle Korver had the ball in his hands for 30 seconds during Cleveland’s OT win in Toronto Tuesday night. He made the most of those 30 seconds, making 7 of 17 shots, 5 of 12 behind the arc. 17 shots in 30 seconds with the ball; sounds like a good job.
10) Colorado Rockies led off Tuesday’s game at Wrigley Field with back/back homers; that was first time since 1937 a visiting team starting a game at Wrigley with back/back jacks.
9) Dodgers were 23-4 last year when Clayton Kershaw started; they’re 2-5 this year.
8) Red Sox 5, Royals 4— Mookie Betts had three homers for Boston, which trailed 3-0 early.
7) According to ESPN, Phoenix Suns will hire Utah Jazz assistant coach Igor Kokoskov as their new head coach; he will become the first European-born head coach in the NBA..
6) Utah State’s football team will be paid $1.91M to come to Tuscaloosa and lose to the Crimson Tide during the 2022 season.
Thats the 3rd-most $$$ a team has ever gotten for a non-conference game; Florida is paying Colorado State $2M (as part of Jim McElwain’s buyout) for a game this fall and Auburn will pay Tulane $1.937M for a 2019 game
5) In case you were wondering, Albert Pujols holds the all-time major league record for first inning home runs— he hit his 142nd 1st inning homer off Dylan Bundy Wednesday night.
4) Baseball players get hurt a lot:
— Jacob deGrom hyperextended his elbow while batting Wednesday night; an MRI was taken; all Mets fans and deGrom fantasy owners are holding their breath.
— Braves’ SS Dansby Swanson left that same game with a sore left wrist.
— Dodgers’ P Hyun-jin Ryu left his start in the 2nd inning with an unknown injury.
3) Jazz 116, Rockets 108— Utah evens series 1-1 with a road win; they made 15-32 on arc, led by Joe Ingles’ 7-9. Winning a road game without Ricky Rubio is even more impressive.
2) A’s 3, Mariners 2– Paxton blanked Oakland for seven innings, striking out 16 hitters in an overpowering performance, but they took him out after 105 pitches and the A’s beat the Seattle bullpen.
1— Random question: What would baseball be like if there was no pitchers’ mound, just a circle in the middle of the infield where the pitchers threw the ball? Would scoring go way up?