13) St Bonaventure 117, Davidson 113, 3OT— Probably the best college hoop game this season was played Tuesday night; five players scored 30+ points. Six players fouled out. These teams are lined up to meet again in the A-14 semi-finals next week in Washington, DC.
12) Speaking of which, this is a year where several conference tournaments are in unusual places; ACC is in Brooklyn, Big 14 is in Manhattan, A-14 is in Washington, SEC is in St Louis.
11) One of the things about college basketball is that once you beat a team, you need that team to do well, so it helps your power rating.
Case in point: Boise State will be a bubble team if they don’t win the Mountain West- they’ve got a win at Oregon, so it would greatly help the Broncos if Oregon could work its way into the top 60 or even higher.
10) NIT will have some experimental rules this season; games will be four quarters, and 3-point arc will be moved out a little bit. The four-quarter thing looks like it will happen at some point in men’s basketball, maybe 2019-20— the women’s game already plays four quarters.
9) All-time major league record for pinch-hit home runs:
Matt Stairs 23, Cliff Johnson 20, Jerry Lynch 18.
Stairs is the new hitting coach for San Diego- he was the Phillies’ hitting coach last year.
8) Shareef O’Neal (Shaq’s son) quickly moved on from Arizona to UCLA for his college choice.
4) Took the NFL about 90 minutes to move on from Papa John’s to Pizza Hut as official pizza of the league; best thing about this? Lot fewer Peyton Manning commercials.
7) Mark Few makes $1,934,104 a year at Gonzaga; he is happy where he is, and you can’t buy happy, but he is leaving a lot of money on the table. If Few let it be known that he wanted to be a much higher-paid coach, lot of the big-money schools would be lining up pretty quickly.
6) Chicago Bears will cut backup QB Mike Glennon after only one year and four starts; Glennon made $18.5M for his time in the Windy City, so hard to feel bad for the guy.
5) There were two upsets in the NEC tournament last night; #2-seed Mt St Mary lost to Robert Morris, and #3-seed St Francis PA lost to FDU, first time since 2003 that the #2-3 seeds both lost in the first round.
3) If you’re Sam Darnold, why wouldn’t you throw at the NFL Combine? Quarterbacks shouldn’t back away from any challenges/competition.
2) Random question: if UConn hired Geno Auriemma to be its men’s basketball coach next year, how would he do? Huskies will probably make a coaching change; their program is a mess right now, going 30-33 the last two years.
1— Someone ran a poll on Twitter the other day, asking who was the most influential teacher they have ever had. It got hundreds of responses, some of which were “none” but it was cool to see that most people were grateful to teachers who helped them when they were younger.
Lot of time kids graduate and go on their way and never thank the people who helped them.