13) Michigan hired Juwan Howard as its new basketball coach; Howard had been as assistant with the Miami Heat and of course is a Michigan alum, playing in the Fab Five era.
12) Giancarlo Stanton looks like an NFL tight end, but good grief, he gets hurt a lot.
First, a biceps strain; rehab from that led to a shoulder issue. Then, in his first rehab game in Florida, he strains a calf muscle trying to avoid a pitch in a Class A game, so now he’s been shut down another 7-10 days. Oy.
Stanton has been on my fantasy team since since he was an 18-year old in the Florida State League, so I’ve been down this road before:
— Missed 39 games in 2012
— Missed 46 games in 2013
— Missed 88 games in 2015
— Missed 43 games in 2016
— Missed 45 games already this season.
Guy gets paid $30M a year; would be nice if he played more.
11) Monday is Stanton Bobblehead Day in the Bronx; that should go over well.
10) Race for the two Wild Cards in the AL:
— Tampa Bay 27-18
— Boston 25-23
— Cleveland 25-23
— Texas 24-23
— Oakland 25-25
— LA Angels 22-26
9) Gleyber Torres has 12 homers this year; ten of them were against Baltimore.
8) Iowa passed a sports betting bill this week; their goal is to begin taking wagers around August 10th.
7) Baseball stuff:
— Cleveland DFA’d OF Carlos Gonzalez.
— Rockies put P Wade Davis (oblique) on IL.
— Angels put C Kevan Smith on 7-day concussion IL.
6) St Louis Blues came into the NHL in the fall of 1967, and made the Stanley Cup finals their first three years in the NHL, going 0-12 in those finals. This will be the first time since then that they’re back in the finals, playing the same Bruins’ squad they lost to in 1970.
5) Colonial Country Club is hosting a PGA Tour event this week for the 72nd consecutive year, the second-longest streak behind Augusta National.
4) Vanderbilt hired Faragi Phillips as an assistant basketball coach; he went 105-31 in four years as a head coach at the high school level in Memphis, winning two state titles. Memphis is a very fertile recruiting ground in basketball.
3) Future NFL Draft sites: 2021: Cleveland, 2023: Kansas City. No word on 2022.
NFL Combine is staying in Indianapolis for at least the next couple years.
2) A’s 7, Indians 2— Oakland won its last six games, is back at .500 (25-25).
1) Robinson Cano actually ran out a ground ball last night, so of course he leaves the game right after with a strained quad muscle.