13) November of 1980, I’m the student manager of UAlbany’s basketball team; we were a good team in Division III, we had a really good coach and several excellent players- winning is fun.
We opened the season in a tournament at Brockport State, a suburb of Rochester; we win our first game, then the host team Brockport State is playing in the nightcap. They weren’t very good; their coach was wearing a neck brace- he had recently been in a car accident.
Guy’s name was Bill Van Gundy; he had been a junior college coach in California before taking the Brockport job. You may have heard of his sons, Jeff and Stan, former NBA coaches who both do TV games on ESPN now. Brockport lost their first round game.
Albany won that tournament; we beat an Upsala team in the final that Sports Illustrated had pegged as a favorite to win the national title. Great Danes went 23-5 that year, lost in OT of Sweet 16 of the NCAA D-III tournament. Long time ago, but those were fun days; I’ve wondered if one of the Van Gundy brothers was in Brockport that weekend, watching our team play.
12) LSU guard Skylar Mays is a very good player; he also played the trumpet in his high school’s marching band. Not many NBA players can say that. Mays will be an NBA player.
11) Preseason top 25 polls are useless; San Diego State didn’t get one vote in this preseason’s top 25, yet here they are in mid-February, the country’s only unbeaten team. Go figure.
10) Red Sox are paying these people this year, who will not play for them:
$16,000,000— David Price
$14,271,428— Rusney Castillo
$13,125,000— Dustin Pedroia
$5,000,000— Pablo Sandoval
$2,013,418— Manny Ramirez
$50,409,846— Total of Boston’s 2020 dead money
9) Red Sox named Ron Roenicke interim manager for this season; he went 342-331 in 4+ years as Milwaukee’s manager, from 2011-15.
8) College basketball teams are making 33.59% of their 3’s this season; they made 34.54% last year. Teams are taking 21.83 3’s per game this year; they took 22.45 last year.
7) Around 75% of sticks used on the ice by NHL players come from Chinese factories; the Chinese government has stopped travel and work because of the coronavirus, and companies are being impacted. That includes companies that make sticks for the NHL, and there is an increasing worry that there could be a hockey stick shortage later this season.
6) Wednesday’s upsets:
— George Mason (+14) 72, VCU 67
— Mercer (+7.5) 70, Wofford 68
— Georgia Tech (+6.5) 64, Louisville 58
— Creighton (+6) 87, Seton Hall 82
5) Highest scoring teams in conference play:
1. Summit 75.8
2. Southland 75.1
3. OVC 73.4
4. Horizon 73.4
5. Mountain West 72.9
4) Lowest scoring teams in conference play:
28. SWAC 67.1
29. American 66.8
30. MVC 66.5
31. A-Sun 65.3
32. Big 12 64.3
3) Six weeks after becoming the first NFL QB to throw 30+ TD’s, 30+ INT’s in the same season, Jameis Winston underwent LASIK surgery to repair his vision. Seriously.
“He can’t read the scoreboard but he can see the guys in front of him.” Bucs coach Bruce Arians
If you asked whether Winston’s vision is now “30-30”, you weren’t the first.
2) Auburn 95, Alabama 91 OT:
— Auburn led this game 16-0 out of the box.
— Alabama was 22-59 on 3-pointers!!!! 8-25 inside arc.
— Auburn outscored Crimson Tide 26-9 on foul line.
— Auburn out rebounded Alabama 60-44.
1) Over last six years, Dustin Johnson is minus-60 at the Genesis Invitational golf tournament, 13 shots better than any other player.