13) Here’s a question for us to consider; if Zion Williamson doesn’t play anymore this season. where do you seed Duke in the NCAA’s? How good are the Blue Devils without him?
I don’t have an answer to this, other than if he is indeed out for the year, Duke won’t say so before Selection Sunday, because that would diminish their seeding, maybe a couple of lines?
12) Virginia Tech 77, Duke 72— There is a kid on Duke who has missed 28 3-pointers in a row, and his 3-point %age (26.5%) is still better than Duke’s PG, Tre Jones (24.6%). Blue Devils are shooting 29.6% on the arc in conference games, 30.7% for the season.
11) Philadelphia Eagles are not franchise-tagging QB Nick Foles; he will be become a free agent, and I’m guessing a really highly sought-after one.
10) Villanova 67, Marquette 61— Two best teams in Big East hooked up here; chances are they’ll meet again on March 16, in Big East tournament final. Kid named Samuels on Villanova was averaging four points a game; he had 29 points in this one.
9) Tennessee 73, Ole Miss 71— Vols are tied with Kentucky/LSU atop the SEC; they host the Wildcats in Knoxville Saturday.
8) Baylor 84, Texas 83 OT— Horrific loss for Longhorns, who led by 19 with 14:56 left to play; leading 83-82, they turned ball over on an inbounds play with 0:07 left. Not good.
7) Trailblazers 97, Celtics 92— Boston is 1-8 vs spread if they played the night before.
6) West Virginia 104, TCU 96, 3OT— These teams battled it out for 55:00 Tuesday night and the Horned Frogs went home with a costly loss. West Virginia is having a lousy season but Derek Culver is developing into a pretty good player- he had 22 points, 21 rebounds in this game.
5) Iowa basketball coach Fran McCaffery got suspended for two games after he berated a ref after the Hawkeyes’ 90-70 loss at Ohio State Tuesday. If you’re going to berate a ref and curse him out multiple times, better not to do it where media people can hear you.
4) Was wondering about this today so I looked it up; Wayne Gretzky is the NHL’s all-time leader in empty net goals, with 56.
Marion Hossa is 2nd on this list, with 40, followed by Mario Lemieux and Alex Ovechkin, with 33 each.
3) Heat 126, Warriors 125— Dwyane Wade banked in the game-winning 3-pointer at the buzzer after his first shot was blocked. Miami is a half-game out of the last playoff spot in the East.
2) On Tuesday, Mets’ OF Brandon Nimmo ate undercooked chicken that he cooked himself and got sick- the team sent him home from their game on Wednesday. Mets’ plan to teach him how to cook. Ordering out would also seem to be a good idea.
1) 80-year old Bobby Knoop retired this week as a coach/instructor with the Angels; he was in baseball for 53 years, playing nine years in the major leagues, mostly in Anaheim. He made one All-Star Game and won three Golden Gloves.
Why bring this up? Because when I was a kid playing in Little League, a long, long time ago, I used a baseball glove signed by Bobby Knoop. I sucked at baseball, but wasn’t a bad fielder at least, and that glove was awesome. So thank you Bobby Knoop, and enjoy your retirement!!!