13) This year, if your college basketball team is making 33.3% of their 3’s, they’re 156th in country. Last year, teams that shot 33.3% on the arc were 225th.
Moving the arc back has created more missed shots; I’m wondering if more long rebounds has resulted in more fast breaks going the other way.
12) Florida Atlantic hired Willie Taggart as its new football coach; FAU will be his 5th head coaching job in 11 years, making him the Larry Brown of college football.
2010-12: Western Kentucky: 16-20, 13-11 Sun Belt
2013-16: South Florida: 24-25, 18-14 AAC
2017: Oregon 7-5, 4-5 Pac-12
2018-19: Florida State 9-12, 6-9 ACC
Total: 56-62, 44-42 conference
11) Apparently Dallas Mavericks’ star Luke Doncic is the best player in the NBA who doesn’t have a shoe contract, which means his bank account will get a lot bigger fairly soon, as all the sneaker companies try to sign him up.
10) Home teams won the first ten Big 14 conference games so far this season; Michigan looked like a damn good team until they went to Louisville/Illinois.
9) The more I think about it, the more I like the 0:08 half court rule that the NBA has; makes a team get into motion a little quicker, not just walk the ball up the court.
8) I’m mystified that Harold Baines is in the Hall of Fame, but Dale Murphy isn’t.
7) Baseball stuff:
— Mets signed P Rick Porcello to a 1-year, $10M contract.
— Bronx re-signed OF Brett Gardner to a 1-year, $12.5m deal.
6) It is December 13 and Yale has already played four OT games this season, winning three of them. Bulldogs won their last six games overall, are 9-3 vs schedule #83.
5) Baseball will have some rules changes this year; a big one for September is the elimination of the 40-man roster. Rosters will be capped at 28 in September.
4) Another rule change will be that relievers having to face 3+ hitters in an appearance; it’ll reduce the often-tedious L-R-L pitching changes that stretch out the end of games.
In exchange for that, rosters all season increase from 25 to 26 players.
3) Handicapping bowl games can be dicey; you don’t know how excited a team or its fans are about their particular matchup. Iowa State sold out of its allotment of tickets for the Camping World Bowl against Notre Dame; safe to say that people in Ames are excited about this game.
2) NBA is putting a G-League team in Mexico City, starting next season. Very high altitude in Mexico City; the Nuggets don’t have a G-League affiliate yet. Maybe they do now.
1) Ravens 42, Jets 21
— Baltimore wins the AFC North.
— Lamar Jackson completed 15 passes, five of them for TD’s.
— Only 8 of Ravens’ 59 plays came on third down.
— Jets scored a TD on aa blocked punt.