13) A courageous gambler in New Jersey wagered $22,000 on the New Orleans Saints to win the Super Bowl, at 11-1 odds.
This isn’t related to that note, but over the last nine seasons, Saints are 2-15 ATS in Weeks 1-2 of each season. New Orleans is favored over Tom Brady’s Buccaneers Sunday.
12) Over the last decade, which NFL quarterback is the most profitable on to bet on Week 1?
I’ll post the answer below.
11) Justin Timberlake has become an investor in a group trying to bring major league baseball to Nashville; I’m thinking MLB will expand to 32 teams fairly soon; Nashville, Portland, Montreal are among the teams who are potential homes for new teams.
10) What do these people have in common?
John McCain, John McEnroe, Amy Adams, Bruce Willis
They were all born overseas, with their parents stationed in the military.
9) Houston Astros are 22-22, have lot of injuries; they’re 3-14 in California this season.
8) Other than Jacob deGrom, Mets’ starting pitchers have a 6.47 ERA this year.
7) Random opinion; Dave Parker should be in the Hall of Fame; Cubs’ TV guys were talking about the greatest RF’s ever and Jim Deshaies is throwing out a few names, all-time greats, and Parker is right in there with them. Hopefully he’ll get his day soon.
6) The best compliment a coach can give a basketball player; tie game, 2:00 to play, and you’re on the floor. Who finishes a close game is way more important than who starts the game.
5) Tuesday night, Oakland reliever Lou Trivino became the first reliever since 2005 to pitch the last inning of a win, getting the last three outs on three pitches. That has happened only seven times since 1988.
4) Duke Blue Devils were 2-4-1 ATS as an underdog last year, after going 27-10-1 from 2013-18.
12a) Answer to quiz: Over the last decade, Andy Dalton is 6-2-1 ATS in Week 1, making him the NFL’s most profitable QB in Week 1 games. He is the backup in Dallas now.
3) Toronto 125, Boston 122, 2OT (series 3-3)
— This was big-time basketball at its finest; high quality, intense game.
— Four Raptors played 50:00+.
— Kyle Lowry scored 33; shot 6-10 on the arc, 6-10 inside the arc.
— Four Boston subs played a total of only 39:00.
2) LA Clippers 96, Denver 87 (LA leads 3-1)
— Clippers led 26-12 after first quarter, then held Denver off.
— Other than Nokic, Denver starters were 10-28 from the floor.
— Nuggets were down 3-1 in last series, and won that one.
1) If the baseball playoffs started today (they do not):
AL East- Tampa Bay, Toronto
AL Central- Chicago, Cleveland
AL West- Oakland, Houston
AL Wild Cards- Minnesota, New York
NL East- Atlanta, Philadelphia
NL Central- Chicago, St Louis
NL West- Los Angeles, San Diego
NL Wild Cards- Miami, San Francisco