13) One of the best comebacks in NBA history happened Sunday; with 0:12.3 left, Washington trailed the Brooklyn Nets 146-141. Wizards then scored 8 points in the last 0:10 to pull out a highly unlikely 149-146 win. They hit two 3-pointers in a span of 4.3 seconds, then sealed the win with a couple of foul shots.
Over the last 25 years, there have been 23,507 NBA games where a team trailed by 5+ points in the last 0:10 of a game. Only nine (9!!!) of those 23,507 teams won.
12) There was a really bad beat in college ball Saturday, when LSU (+3) led Texas Tech 71-64 at home with 1:06 left in their game. The game ended in regulation, but Tech outscored LSU 12-0 over the final 1:06 and not only won the game, they covered.
11) 2019-20 was the first basketball season when NBA teams took a higher percentage of their shots behind the arc than college teams did.
10) People who who basketball stats should have a new category, a refined-assist stat, where an assist on a 3-pointer counts as 1.5 assists, a pass that leads to a made free throw counts as half an assist for each foul shot made.
It could compiled as “points assisted on”, would be more accurate than the current assist stat.
9) Baseball stuff:
— Minnesota Twins signed DH Nelson Cruz for one year, $13M
8) Los Angeles Angels have suspended pitching coach Mickey Callaway, in wake of five female reporters saying he sent them inappropriate pictures and unprompted texts over a span of at least five years. Oy.
7) An adventurous human wagered $520K to win $433K on the Chiefs (-3, -$120) in Sunday’s Super Bowl. Yikes.
6) There were some pretty big upsets Wednesday:
— East Carolina (+16) 82, Houston 73
— Georgetown (+14) 86, Creighton 79
— LaSalle (+11) 82, Saint Louis 75
— St John’s (+9) 70, Villanova 59
— South Carolina (+8.5) 76, Florida 70
— VMI (+8) 84, Wofford 80 OT
5) I’d like to watch the Caribbean baseball series on TV/Internet, but the games are only being shown on ESPN Deportes, and that isn’t included in my ESPN+ account. Not really interested in paying extra for a station where they don’t speak English, so no Caribbean Series for me.
4) TCU 81, Oklahoma State 78:
— Horned Frogs beat OSU twice this season, by 1-3 points.
3) Most new starting QB’s in one NFL season:
2021 is going to be close to that number.
2) Salary cap hits for 2021:
— Detroit Lions: Jared Goff $21M, Matthew Stafford $19M
— Los Angeles Rams: Goff $22M, Stafford $20M
1) RIP to the great actor Hal Holbrook, who passed away this week at age 95. Mr Holbrook has 135 acting credits on IMDB.com, last working on an episode of Hawaii Five-O in 2017. He had a distinctive voice and often played politicians in his movie roles.