13) A 60-game baseball season isn’t ideal, but my whole attitude changed for the better this week, when I heard that things will be starting up in four weeks.
3am last night, I’m going thru fantasy baseball projections, getting my roster ready for this season, instead of playing word games on my phone.
Our league will have only a five-week regular season, then four weeks of playoffs, but at least it will be something to focus on every day, something that is fun. We haven’t had much fun so far this year.
12) Couple of Friday nights ago, there was NOTHING good on TV, I mean, zero. So I turned the TV off, put music on and played Wordscapes for nine consecutive hours. Seriously, I did.
Good news— I won the Wordscapes tournament that weekend
Bad news— It isn’t good to play a damn word game for nine consecutive hours, especially on a Friday night.
11) MLB Network showed something great last night; they replayed the MLB Tonight show from the last night of the regular season from 2011, when Evan Longoria hit a walk-off homer to put Tampa Bay into the playoffs.
This was a whole night of baseball, dramatic baseball; how did they not show this at least once a week since mid-March?
10) Extra innings this season will start with a runner on 2nd base; the batter who made the last out in the previous inning will be the runner on 2nd base.
9) When the Seattle Mariners drafted Ken Griffey Jr s an 18-year old, he had to ask his father where Seattle was, he seriously didn’t know.
8) June 23, 1971, Phillies’ pitcher Rick Wise had probably the best night ever for a pitcher; he no-hit the Cardinals, and also hit two home runs in the game, a 4-0 Phillies’ win.
7) Detroit Tigers’ 1B Norm Cash hit 377 home runs in a 17-year career; that is most home runs ever hit by a player who never hit a walk-off homer.
6) Circa Resort/Casino is being built in downtown Las Vegas; it is scheduled to open later this year.
“Once, Las Vegas held a certain mystique as this fabulous place where only grown-ups could play. Call us old-fashioned, but we think adults need some of that mystique back in their lives.”
That is from Circa’s Twitter page; I’m curious to see how that all goes.
5) From the KBO: Doosan Bears won 30 of their last 38 games against the LG Twins, who are a pretty good team.
4) KBO had a rough day Wednesday; with the major leagues coming back, the KBO’s window of American exposure will probably come to an end. I’ll still post KBO info here every day, because I’m a believer that if you start something, you finish it, but hopefully this year will be the last time I write about the KBO.
Then four of their five games Thursday got rained out, as monsoon season begins in Korea.
3) From Justin Ray:
Over the last 15 years, 82 golfers led a tournament, then shot 66 or better in the last round; of those 82 leaders, 71 of them won that tournament.
Two of the 11 leaders who shot 66 or better but didn’t win were Tyrell Hatton, Abraham Ancer, last week in Hilton Head. Ancer is the only 54-hole leader in the last 15 years that shot 65 or better but didn’t win the tournament.
2) Daniel Berger has broken par 32 rounds in a row, the current longest streak on Tour; he is 20 rounds behind the all-time record of 52, set by Eldrick Woods in 2000-01.
1) One of the great newspaper headlines of all-time was in the New York Post on April 15, 1983:
“Headless Body in Topless Bar”
TV highlights of the day: MLB Network had their best night of 2020 Wednesday, showing a replay of the last night of the 2011 season, which was very dramatic.